FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By KStap18
Hello Sundew growers!

So back in March 2018 I had requested the self fertile T-Form from the seed bank (they may or may not be the same ones that are still there now, but I think they are). But I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the plants from these seeds are forking more than once.

Last year they forked only once, but this year (the second growing season, after two dormancies) they seem to be forking twice which I thought was odd. Is this normal behavior for these plants?

I am noticing this is happening from the largest plant that I have, with the second largest only producing one so far that is forking twice. The smaller ones are forking only once, so perhaps this is just a genetic discrepancy, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar observations after planting these seeds obtained through the seed bank.

Thanks! ImageImageImageImage
By uxleumas
hmmmmm, i think whoever gave the seeds from the seed bank may have had an acedental cross polination with a D. binata var. multifida "extrema", or had contamination, i can't see the pictures (parental controls). I have never had a drosera binata, but it may be my next seed bank request if they don't have the flytrap seeds. very rarely, a mutation may have occured but not likely. perhaps instead of drosra binata you got a cross between a large, regular, sundew with a D. binata var. multifida "extrema"or something like that. also found an online source "Drosera binata stands apart from other sundews in that it has narrow, forked leaves. The leaves may be forked more than once and enthusiasts identify a range of forms."
By Huntsmanshorn
KStap18 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:41 pm Hello Sundew growers!

So back in March 2018 I had requested the self fertile T-Form from the seed bank (they may or may not be the same ones that are still there now, but I think they are). But I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the plants from these seeds are forking more than once.

Last year they forked only once, but this year (the second growing season, after two dormancies) they seem to be forking twice which I thought was odd. Is this normal behavior for these plants?

I am noticing this is happening from the largest plant that I have, with the second largest only producing one so far that is forking twice. The smaller ones are forking only once, so perhaps this is just a genetic discrepancy, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar observations after planting these seeds obtained through the seed bank.

Thanks!
Interesting, kind of makes we wish I'd not gone on a rampage trying to eradicate this weed from my collection. Perhaps I should save one of the last hold outs and see what happens if I give it a chance. I'll have to give it a think and see. Thanks for the info.
By ChefDean
I also got some of the T-Form last year, but I didn't put them through a dormancy. Mine are doing well this year, they like it much better outside. However they haven't done any more than a single split.
I also have some Binata var Multifida. I got it as a root clump late last year, so I kept it dormant until this Spring. It has not done more than a single split so far, but it is doing much better than the T-Form.
The season isn't over, but I expect some grand results next year.
By KStap18

uxleumas wrote:hmmmmm, i think whoever gave the seeds from the seed bank may have had an acedental cross polination with a D. binata var. multifida "extrema", or had contamination, i can't see the pictures (parental controls). I have never had a drosera binata, but it may be my next seed bank request if they don't have the flytrap seeds. very rarely, a mutation may have occured but not likely. perhaps instead of drosra binata you got a cross between a large, regular, sundew with a D. binata var. multifida "extrema"or something like that. also found an online source "Drosera binata stands apart from other sundews in that it has narrow, forked leaves. The leaves may be forked more than once and enthusiasts identify a range of forms."
I'm wondering if yeah maybe contamination as I took a closer look and what I thought was branching more than once from a second plant, was actually just from the same one plant that is consistently forking twice.

Looking more into it, I read that certain populations can often show a variety of forking, so maybe that's what I'm seeing here, where just this one plant happens to be forking twice. It also self fertilized with white flowers (just harvested the seeds today) so I'm wondering if that can help identify the form of this plant.
By ChefDean
T-Form flowers are white, and you said it was only one plant, maybe it's just a random mutation. Sow the seeds and see if the plants that grow from them have a single split or double/multiple.
It might be a couple of years to see results, but you've got us curious.
By KStap18
ChefDean wrote:T-Form flowers are white, and you said it was only one plant, maybe it's just a random mutation. Sow the seeds and see if the plants that grow from them have a single split or double/multiple.
It might be a couple of years to see results, but you've got us curious.
Yeah I'm planning to sow these and see what happens!

I was looking through the ICPS site on binatas and couldn't help notice that they mention that form from Coromandel, NZ has self fertilizing white flowers and the picture shows leaves with one and two forks. Image

https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/guides/Dbinata
By ChefDean
@KStap18, did you put them through a dormancy? I know that D. Binata do not need a dormancy, but do usually experience one in the wild.
I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to let my T-Form and var Multifida go dormant, or put them on a sunny windowsill for the winter.
By KStap18

ChefDean wrote:@KStap18, did you put them through a dormancy? I know that D. Binata do not need a dormancy, but do usually experience one in the wild.
I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to let my T-Form and var Multifida go dormant, or put them on a sunny windowsill for the winter.
I live in SD and grow my plants outside so I let them do what they want to do on their own. So these went through their second dormancy last winter. I do have a multifida extrema also growing next to them, but those didn't go dormant this year.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!