FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I don't have a problem with mice, but for other critters, specifically squirrels and toads, I sprinkle the surface of my garden and pots with red pepper flakes. They seem to do the trick but need to be replaced after it rains.
Benny liked this
By Benny
Archie Adams wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am mice in the garden, is it dangerous for plants?
No. As long as they don't mess with the plant.
Archie Adams wrote: what to do?
I think a N. Raja will do the trick. :lol:
By Huntsmanshorn
Panman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm I don't have a problem with mice, but for other critters, specifically squirrels and toads, I sprinkle the surface of my garden and pots with red pepper flakes. They seem to do the trick but need to be replaced after it rains.
I completely understand why tree rats are a problem but how are toads an issue?
By Benny
What better place to hibernate in than a CP's pot? :lol:
By Panman
When the weather starts warming up in the spring but gets cold at night, the toads burrow into the soft, damp soil to keep themselves warm at night. I literally dug two of them out of my bog. They were a good inch under the surface.
Benny liked this
By Archie Adams
Panman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm I don't have a problem with mice, but for other critters, specifically squirrels and toads, I sprinkle the surface of my garden and pots with red pepper flakes. They seem to do the trick but need to be replaced after it rains.
Tnx
if red pepper, could help with mice as well?
By Greenthumbs Garden
I have a veggie garden and we live a little bit into the countryside and have quite a few mice and roof rats about. they not too much a bother for my plants. More a problem chewing through irrigation and making a huge mess in my shed. Sometimes they can eat the veggies but I have not had this issue this year. Traps are the way to go, I hate poisons as the animal suffers greatly, goes off and dies somewhere you don't know and then another animal, like an owl or fox, mongoose could eat it as food and then the poison goes to them.
Here I have a video on the subject, if you don't mind me sharing ;)

Benny liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Benny wrote: I think a N. Raja will do the trick. :lol:
I think Nepenthes attenboroughii would be better suited to the task, N. rajah would probably only provide a food source to them. But might as well try both :D :twisted:
Benny liked this
By Archie Adams
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:58 am I have a veggie garden and we live a little bit into the countryside and have quite a few mice and roof rats about. they not too much a bother for my plants. More a problem chewing through irrigation and making a huge mess in my shed. Sometimes they can eat the veggies but I have not had this issue this year. Traps are the way to go, I hate poisons as the animal suffers greatly, goes off and dies somewhere you don't know and then another animal, like an owl or fox, mongoose could eat it as food and then the poison goes to them.
Here I have a video on the subject, if you don't mind me sharing ;)

Hi, I also don't like poison, I have found this mousetrap https://homemakerguide.com/best-mouse-trap/, what do you think?
Last edited by Archie Adams on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sanguinearocks101
This youtuber does a lot of mousetrap videos, some of them are actually really interesting.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru- ... s4FVn61JUQ
Last edited by sanguinearocks101 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Greenthumbs Garden
Archie Adams wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:30 pm Hi, I also don't like poison, I have found this mousetraphttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2J2VTR?ta ... th=1&psc=1, what do you think?
Seems very expensive for what it is and does not seem to kill the rat. Check this out, I want to buy one myself, it works by killing them with an electric shock and they die instantly. I can't find anything more humane.
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electroni ... r=8-6&th=1

the problem is with the catch and releases traps as is with the one you were looking at, is that the rats just come back home. I had a mate and he got a rat living in his car's air filter, made a right mess. He caught it with a catch and release. He says he took it about 1km away and let it go.... it came right back.
Last edited by Greenthumbs Garden on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!