FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! I am confused about how much humidity VFTs need. There is a lot of mixed answers about the topic online. Is 30% humidity fine for VFTs?
By Panman
Humidity isn't as much of a consideration as sunlight. If they are sitting in a dish of water, I would think that would be adequate. Sorry I don't have hard numbers.
Zach Ledy liked this
By Zach Ledy
Thanks Panman! My VFT is getting plenty of sun (about 9 hours of 70,000 lux). It's pretty dry where I live, except when it rains, so I want to make sure the low humidity is not harming my plant. :?
By Benny
Humidity is almost not necessary. Very few places in the world have too low humidity. You should never worry about 2 things, humidity and feeding. Just remember the big three (water, sunlight, soil).
Zach Ledy, Panman liked this
By MikeB
FYI - Last week, I was talking with one of the moderators of the Savage Garden subreddit, and he told me about his experiences with growing carnivorous plants in Utah. He said that his flytraps loved the summers there, despite the heat (many days of 100 F / 38 C) and low humidity (in the single digits).
By hungry carnivores
I keep mine between 20-100%. They're quite resilient actually. I keep most of my plants, including pings, at 100%, since it's less maintenance for me. Be sure to acclimate into this, slowly.

But they don't really seem to care. You could probably plant some on Mars in little domes with co2 inside and they'd grow. Plants adapt, they are not fixed as many people make them sound.
By Matt
We grow outdoors year round here in Oregon. Summer highs are regularly in the 100F range and humidity levels are often below 20%. Keep the soil damp, and flytraps don't mind it at all! They just want the sun and warmth and can keep themselves hydrated just fine as long as their soil is damp.
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!