FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
Finally getting some new growth on them as well.

Also picked up this new Eden Black x Eden Black
By Matt
jkochuni wrote: Do you think I could try a Heliamphora like Burgundy-Black in these conditions?
Yes, absolutely. Heliamphora minor, which I believe is the species of Burgundy-Black, are very tolerant of higher temperatures. I've grown them in 100F weather with very low humidity without any issues.
By jkochuni
Matt wrote:
jkochuni wrote: Do you think I could try a Heliamphora like Burgundy-Black in these conditions?
Yes, absolutely. Heliamphora minor, which I believe is the species of Burgundy-Black, are very tolerant of higher temperatures. I've grown them in 100F weather with very low humidity without any issues.
Good to know. I thought I read that they needed a large drop in temps at night, but I believe 63F might be adequate.
By Matt
jkochuni wrote: I thought I read that they needed a large drop in temps at night, but I believe 63F might be adequate.
Should be for sure. Our nights are almost always near 60F or below even when days are 100+, so that may have been helpful for the Heliamphora I grew. But I also grew them in the garage and sometimes it wouldn't get below 70F in there at night.
By Apollyon
Hey, I have a question jkochuni. I have a similar setup to yours (I almost want to bet it's the same rack) and I was wondering if you could tell me the fans you use? Right now I'm using a ridiculously strong tower fan far away but I've wanted to mount fans to the rails like you did.
By jkochuni
Here are the two fans I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GZMMH ... asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WC6JC ... asin_title

I like the first fan best because it works with my smart plugs in terms of turning on and off. However, it only has two speeds. The second fan has four speeds, but kicks over to a battery when the power is turned off. It only goes off when the battery dies.

I aim both fans at a ventilation hole to add air circulation. I did just get these, and will be trying them in the dome. Not sure if they are needed though since the fans mounted to the rack should be circulating air.

By sanguinearocks101
jkochuni wrote: The second fan has four speeds, but kicks over to a battery when the power is turned off. It only goes off when the battery dies.

Why don't you either remove the batteries or drain the batteries until they're dead? Will it not spin at all if the batteries are dead even when it is plugged in?
By jkochuni
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
jkochuni wrote: The second fan has four speeds, but kicks over to a battery when the power is turned off. It only goes off when the battery dies.

Why don't you either remove the batteries or drain the batteries until they're dead? Will it not spin at all if the batteries are dead even when it is plugged in?
I don’t believe the battery is removable. It works off of a power cable, but unfortunately it won’t turn off until the battery dies as it switches to battery power when the power is cut. No exact way to just shut them down without waiting for the batteries to drain.
By Apollyon
Right on, thank you very much. Hard to gauge fans and the sizes just from an amazon description as well as how they'll clip on to the rails. Seeing it helped out a lot
By jkochuni
Apollyon wrote:Right on, thank you very much. Hard to gauge fans and the sizes just from an amazon description as well as how they'll clip on to the rails. Seeing it helped out a lot
You’re welcome. Quick question for you...do you top or bottom water your cephs under the dome (perhaps you don’t use a dome). Having sand on the top makes it difficult to judge. I have been top watering them about every week to week and a 1/2. I don’t want to overdue it given they are growing inside now under moderate temps.
By hungry carnivores
I hate to self-advertize but maybe it'd help to read my grow guide. It's pinned in the pitcher plant section.

I would keep an indicator plant. I use D. Pulchella myself. It dies before a ceph is hurt, so they are useful to gauge conditions. I water every other day. Just aerated soil is a must.

Take care!
Benny liked this
By Apollyon
jkochuni wrote:
Apollyon wrote:Right on, thank you very much. Hard to gauge fans and the sizes just from an amazon description as well as how they'll clip on to the rails. Seeing it helped out a lot
You’re welcome. Quick question for you...do you top or bottom water your cephs under the dome (perhaps you don’t use a dome). Having sand on the top makes it difficult to judge. I have been top watering them about every week to week and a 1/2. I don’t want to overdue it given they are growing inside now under moderate temps.
I have a few cephalotus now and what I noticed from my experience with them as well as what I've read is you can tray water them but it should be kept very low. The idea would be to keep the roots from getting waterlogged/rotting and having the crown die off. I recently had an issue trying this with a VFT :/ I believe it would really depend on the soil that you use. I was doing tray watering and they responded to it fine (like 1/10-1/8) of the pot. I wanted to make sure it didn't get too wet. After I received a ceph planted in LFS, I decided to top water because I wanted to keep them together and the ceph was a tiny TC (didn't want to repot yet).

I did keep mine in a dome but strangely enough they responded better outside of it where ambient humidity is 60% (I had a control plant) They appear to be less concerned with humidity and acclimate to temps/humidity pretty well.

I feel like if what you are doing is working for you then you're best sticking with it. They appear to be very finicky.
By jkochuni
Apollyon wrote:
jkochuni wrote:
I have a few cephalotus now and what I noticed from my experience with them as well as what I've read is you can tray water them but it should be kept very low. The idea would be to keep the roots from getting waterlogged/rotting and having the crown die off. I recently had an issue trying this with a VFT :/ I believe it would really depend on the soil that you use. I was doing tray watering and they responded to it fine (like 1/10-1/8) of the pot. I wanted to make sure it didn't get too wet. After I received a ceph planted in LFS, I decided to top water because I wanted to keep them together and the ceph was a tiny TC (didn't want to repot yet).

I did keep mine in a dome but strangely enough they responded better outside of it where ambient humidity is 60% (I had a control plant) They appear to be less concerned with humidity and acclimate to temps/humidity pretty well.

I feel like if what you are doing is working for you then you're best sticking with it. They appear to be very finicky.
Thank you.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!