FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By LittleGrower
Hi guys, it's me again and this time I'm want to know that whether my cephalotus is healthy or not and I have observed a weird coloration on one non-canivourous leaf. It has a slight white coloration on the pointy head and I'm pretty sure that's not fungus or light effect. Here's a pic
IMG20200531124359~3.jpg
IMG20200531124359~3.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 4122 times
Hope someone can tell me what is it and thank you for anyone replying my post :D :D
By hungry carnivores
For me, the media looks good, as it appears well-drained. Check on it, if it's condition gets worse, then let us know. For the time being, I've seen some bleached Ceph leaves on my plants as well. It's normally a non-issue.
Berrybob, LittleGrower liked this
By Apollyon
Cephalotus is sketchy. I received a couple hummer's giants that were bright green from lower light and a greenhouse environment. They sputtered hard under my T5s in the room I keep them in. Temps are good. I have a couple others that aren't looking so hot but honestly I think a lot of it is the color change thats just giving a rough appearance (They're turning red/brown). The HG finally started opening its pitchers after a few weeks. Seems like they take a while to adjust and they make you nervous all the while. Seems watering habits and light are the primaries for Cephalotus. Humidity and temp are secondary (as long as it isn't extreme). I'm absolutely no expert though, I'm on the same journey. They seem to do weird things every so often.
LittleGrower liked this
By LittleGrower
Berrybob wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 pm What kind of light is your plant getting and what media are you using?
The little guy is having full sun and I think the media is a mix of LFS and coco peat
By LittleGrower
hungry carnivores wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:38 pm For me, the media looks good, as it appears well-drained. Check on it, if it's condition gets worse, then let us know. For the time being, I've seen some bleached Ceph leaves on my plants as well. It's normally a non-issue.
Ok I'll keep on update and hope that's not an issue.
By LittleGrower
Berrybob wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:20 pm From what I knowlight has an effect on the color of the plant, specifically the pitcher's. I'm not sure if this could be the reason as I am quite new to cephalotus.
Yes, light does affect the plant color since some of the pitchers starting to get red/brown but it's weird for a non-canivourous leaf to get bleach.
By LittleGrower
Apollyon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm Cephalotus is sketchy. I received a couple hummer's giants that were bright green from lower light and a greenhouse environment. They sputtered hard under my T5s in the room I keep them in. Temps are good. I have a couple others that aren't looking so hot but honestly I think a lot of it is the color change thats just giving a rough appearance (They're turning red/brown). The HG finally started opening its pitchers after a few weeks. Seems like they take a while to adjust and they make you nervous all the while. Seems watering habits and light are the primaries for Cephalotus. Humidity and temp are secondary (as long as it isn't extreme). I'm absolutely no expert though, I'm on the same journey. They seem to do weird things every so often.
Cheers for our journey. My cephalotus was having full sun when it still at the garden and now it still getting full sun, I place him on the rooftop with a water tray that not even 1 cm tall and the pot is 10 cm tall.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Jealous of that, I live in Florida where the temps are already running over 90 degrees. There isn't enough of a drop at night, the little guy would get cooked when it got warmer.
By Berrybob
LittleGrower wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 am
Berrybob wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 pm What kind of light is your plant getting and what media are you using?
The little guy is having full sun and I think the media is a mix of LFS and coco peat
Coco peat may be a problem. It tends to have a higher salt content.
By LittleGrower
Berrybob wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 am
LittleGrower wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 am
Coco peat may be a problem. It tends to have a higher salt content.
We just use coco peat after it has been treated and it has been 2 months old now so I don't think that's the problem.
Berrybob liked this
Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!