FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mallowallow
So yesterday the pings that I ordered came in the mail but they came earlier than expected so I didnt have the proper medium for them so I collected some rocks and set them in there for the night. When I woke up the tip of the new growth was browning and so were the leaves. I immediately took them out and went to get the proper medium(im using sphagnum moss) and put them in the new medium but I still concerned about browning. These are my first carnivores and Im scared I already messed them up even though I paid $40 for them :?
Attachments:
Yesterday (left)
Yesterday (left)
FF36FF38-89BE-4D0C-9120-63EDE9C3B9FB.jpeg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 9404 times
Today
Today
F5C8945F-4941-4DCF-8EF0-8EA4790A5157.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 9404 times
By twitcher
Not totally sure from the picture, but your pings look like they might be "warm temperate" pings such as normally found in the US. If so, I want to say that my warm temperates occasionally get browned tips when they are not totally happy with growing conditions. They usually recover.

When asking for help, it makes it easier to answer your questions if you let us know the variety of plants you are asking about. So what kind of pings do you have. Primuliflora?
By Mallowallow
Yes, sorry I didnt mention it. They are both P. Primuliflora. As of this morning my other Ping got worse and is shriveling up. They're both planted in sphagnum moss and in a south east windowsill.
Attachments:
P. Primuliflora'Rose
P. Primuliflora'Rose
image.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 9370 times
By Coco
The browning and shriveling happened to my P. primuliflora 'Rose' as well when I first received it and immediately transplanted it to a new media. About 90% of the leaves died but I saw that the growth point was unaffected so I had hopes for it. It took several months to recover and it's now growing very well. Just give it plenty of light and try to keep it on the warmer side since it's a temperate ping and we're in the middle of the growing season. Also, it likes its media to be wet.
By twitcher
yes, wet! Keep always sitting in water, water from the top, mist daily until they recover. Good luck with them.
By Mallowallow
Thank you Both for the advice! I hope its just a phase for them and I will keep them moist, Im just worried about overwatering and causing root rot
By mcgrumpers
anyone ever try growing p. primuliflora in either in live sphagnum or with a top dressing of sand? trying to think about how to keep mine constantly wet while avoiding carpet moss.
By Mallowallow
Ive seen some people using sand/peat/perlite? Im not sure for primuliflora specific though
By hungry carnivores
I keep my temperate pings in almost submerged bog conditions. This seems to will the moss and algae away. Use LFS as it also seems to deter algae.

That said, there's no set way to grow plants. You do what you want and can, and the plant should adapt within reason. Many a hard to grow plant is deemed hard to grow simply because their conditions they ask for are so unique. However, they will adapt, ask my helis which are pushing pitchers so fast in heavily watered (and aerated) and warm conditions (75-8*f).
By jeff
the substrate is too dry.
you can use sphagnum but completely soaked or a mixture peat / sand 30/70.
in spring 'in situ' these primuliflora are completely submerged therefore
see here http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... iflora.htm and here my web site( in french desolate) http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/donnees-m ... flora.html#
By hungry carnivores
I keep my Primulifloras WET. And, as a bonus, they will propagate when the tip of the leaf is touching a wet sphagnum piece.
By twitcher
Hungry raises an important point. primuliflora can go dormant and after shipping that is a possibility. Do not throw out the pot or media if it looks dead. Just leave it in the tray (if using one) in the back out of the way in case there are dormant plantlets ready to emerge when conditions are right. Might have to wait a while for that to happen, if it will. I have had primuliflora look completely dead, only to have plants regrow from dormant roots months later. Do not let completely dry out.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!