FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By poohjulia
Hi,
I bought a venus fly trap from disney world that started as an offshoot of their plants. If you dont know what this is I'll explain. They transplant a little piece of the plant into a sterile jar that has growing gel in it. I was told to keep in there until it got to the top of the jar. Surprisngly it was in there for over 6 months and it did great! I just transplanted it 2 weeks ago as per their specifications. It said to put it in a pot and cover with a bag for 2 weeks. Again it did great and actually started growing a little offshoot! At this point it was green and vibrant and perky. After 2 weeks it said to poke tiny holes in the bag to allow the plant to get used to the air. I did this about 5 days ago. Since then I have noticed the plant is becoming a little brown and dull looking. It just looks sad. I decided today (5/28) to put a new bag on it without any holes in hopes of saving it (since it did so great in there in the first place).

I just found this website which has sooo much info and I wish I found it sooner. Anyway I have a couple of questions:
1. I planted the fly trap in regular potting soil. I plan on buying the proper growing medium from this site asap. However should I wait to transplant it until it looks healthy again or do so asap to save it?
2. while waiting for the new growing medium is there anything I can do in the mean time to encourage its growth and well-being. I REALLY dont want it die!!!
3. Should I keep it covered with the bag without holes and hope it grows as it was before I poked it with holes?
4. Should i just completely uncover it?

I have also attached a pic for reference.
If anyone has any helpful tips/ tricks/ suggestions on keeping it alive please let me know!

This plant is special to me because it is basically a part of the plant from disney world and I think that is the coolest thing ever!
Attachments:
Pic of Plant in pot and bag
Pic of Plant in pot and bag
venus.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 5122 times
By ChefDean
So many things.
1. Get it out of regular potting soil ASAFP. Get even the cheapest, lowest quality moss from the hardware store rather than potting soil. Orchid moss will work for now, it's probably the cheapest option, but get some long fiber Sphagnum moss for a final potting media.
2. When you repot, rinse the roots with distilled, rain, or RO water prior to repotting.
3. In the meantime, it would likely be better for the plant to get it out of the potting soil and just have the roots in zero mineral water only (last resort) until you get new moss.
4. Bag or no bag. That's a debate. I usually say use tough love, and no bag as the new leaves will adjust. But, in this case, bag, after planting in moss, then poke 1 hole a day for 2 to 3 weeks to acclimate to lower humidity.
5. Light. Good, direct morning light, as it's less intense and a lower temperature of the day, until about 9ish for now. After you've taken the bag off, about 3 weeks, adjust the direct light to about 6 hours a day, and dappled or shade the rest of the day.
They're tough little plants in every regard, except for nutrient rich soil.
Good luck.
poohjulia liked this
By poohjulia
Thanks so much!

Will the specific fly trap potting soil from the website work great or should I just use the fiber Sphagnum moss?

Also I dont have moss and my state is still shutting down at 8pm due to covid. You are saying just put the roots in distilled water overnight? Maybe could I rinse the roots then wrap them in a damp paper towel overnight? I also have black mulch. Could I use that in any way?
By Artchic528
This site's fly trap soil is perfect for flytraps. In case your wondering what exactly it is a mix of, it contains sphagnum peat moss and perlite. I'd skip the black mulch. It'll be too mineral rich. Keeping the roots wrapped up in a damp paper towel overnight should work, and might be better than the indoor potting soil you put it in initially. Just make sure the roots stay moist until you put it in the flytrap potting mix.
ChefDean liked this
By sanguinearocks101
I had one of those things once, I accidentally put it in direct sunlight and the gel liquified. I, being a beginner then, tried planting it in a 50-50 mix of lfsm and vermiculite when I could have just done it in lfsm. The plant obviously died :cry:
By poohjulia
Yes, it was basically one of those but the jar was twice the size.
Surprisingly it did really good in there! And even more surprising it actually grew a bit in the potting soil. But then when I went to poke holes in the bag as the directions say, it started getting sad looking.

This morning i woke up and searched 5 stores for sphagnum moss. I finally found it at a pet store!! This is also temporary until i get the VFT medium from the site.

I just hope I saved it in time. There are still a couple of leaves that are hearty and green! fingers crossed.

Also, if anyone has more care tips besides what this sites gives let me know. I need all the knowledge to get this plant to live! :D
Right now I have it in a plastic pot with a plastic bag over it. It has had a bag on it since I transplanted from the jar 3 weeks ago. I have also had it inside the entire time. I'm wondering if I should move it outside. I live in NJ for reference.
By sanguinearocks101
poohjulia wrote:I live in NJ for reference.
I'm in NJ too :D You should slowly acclimate it to direct light once it recovers. My vft is doing good outside currently, but it's been a cold spring where I am so it hasn't flowered yet.
By evenwind
schmeg wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 am I was curious about Disney flytraps and found this terrifying video. Watch if you dare.

I watched it. Ugh. That guy is so manic you can barely hear the plants screaming.
schmeg, sanguinearocks101, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By Benny
He seems to be growing shuned-dews and flytrapless.

Very sad looking despite the fast growth. I mean, no direct sunlight? :shock:
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By poohjulia
so this is an updated picture of the plant. I'm pretty sure its dead :(
Is there a chance its alive and could recoup? Its so sad looking :( :(

I'm not sure at this point what to do with it. I removed the bag since it looks sad and started giving it some sun. Any suggestions if its still alive?
Attachments:
20200601_152556-min.jpg
20200601_152556-min.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4850 times
By hungry carnivores
There's little to no hope, in my opinion. You're a new member and haven't requested seeds yet. Perhaps go over to ChefDean and ask for some D. Binata 't form'. Send an SASE (envelope to his address with an envelope to send to you inside). Binata is a great plant and grows so fast.

I hope you stay with CP's. We all have had our plants die here.
poohjulia liked this
By schmeg
With no green leaves at all, it's unlikely that the underground rhizome will survive, if it's not already dead.

Here's the link to the free Seed Bank in this forum: a list of available seeds, and the rules for requesting. Please do read the rules -- they are easy to follow and help keep requests organized. flytrapcare-community-seedbank-inventory-t33352.html

Growing from seed has its own challenges, even fast-growing sundews like the Binata mentioned above. The flytraps sold by the FlytrapStore, host of this forum, have been raised healthy from birth and are an excellent source. https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/whats-in-stock

If you just really want a bargain flytrap, call your local Lowe's or Walmart. Some branches stock ~$5 flytraps grown in plastic containers. These are almost never listed in stock on store websites, and are often stuck on some random end-cap far away from the garden center. If you go this route, plan to repot them immediately in some of that lovely sphagnum moss that you have.
Matt, poohjulia liked this
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!