FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By Tigergirl2000
So I have two Venus fly traps, both of which I just cut off flower stalks from. One of them seems to be doing just fine, but I noticed my bigger one was acting a little odd. When it's flower stalk started to appear and get taller, it was still very healthy, with good coloration and fast closing traps. But I noticed that after I cut the flower stalk off last week, it started to sort of deteriorate a little bit. It started with a few healthy traps starting to turn more dull in color, sort of a greenish yellowish tint. I didn't pay much mind to it until I noticed that a few of those traps were fairly new and perfectly healthy when the flower stalk was still growing. Then I fed one of the traps the other day (one of the newer ones), and it closed slowly instead of fast. I had fed that same trap a few days before I cut off the flower stalk, and it had closed fast that time. But now it seems that the traps are sluggish. In addition to the traps being slow, I noticed that the new trap that had started growing next to the flower stalk seems to have stopped growing (I swear, it's been the exact same length and height ever since I cut off the stalk). It appears to have healthy coloration, but it seems as though it has stopped growing. For clarification, I made sure to cut the flower stalk off before it got too long, so I never expected the plant to turn sluggish or start declining in health a little bit. Should I be concerned for my flytrap's life? I've had these plants since January, and they've really thrived in my care, and I don't want to lose either of them, especially since I believed I was doing a pretty good job as a novice grower up until now. I would really appreciate any help from anyone with more experience than me. If it helps, I can provide pictures of the plant.
By sanguinearocks101
According to a scientific study I read(guys please don't turn this into a debate about whether they do this or not, I doubt any of you have done any studies like this)vft's die after flowering and a division replaces it, the division is often close to the previous growth point so it seems like there was just a stall in growth and nothing else happened.
By Benny
I still stand very strong to my opinion. Sure, it is an opinion, and I have not done any studies in it. But I know my plants. I have very few, allowing me to observe more. One of the plants made a very fast growing division, but I started out with 2 flytraps. Now I have 3, but the 2 that flowered are perfectly fine. I guarantee you that they were not replaced by another. What scientific study did you read? The one from Darwin?

I am not trying to seem hostile. I just know that what I believe is true!
By sanguinearocks101
Benny wrote:I still stand very strong to my opinion. Sure, it is an opinion, and I have not done any studies in it. But I know my plants. I have very few, allowing me to observe more. One of the plants made a very fast growing division, but I started out with 2 flytraps. Now I have 3, but the 2 that flowered are perfectly fine. I guarantee you that they were not replaced by another. What scientific study did you read? The one from Darwin?

I am not trying to seem hostile. I just know that what I believe is true!
Could you PLEASE move on from this conversation. It's getting us nowhere and it's only causing arguments. We both have our beliefs but unless a scientific study proves that they don't do that, I'm sticking where the evidence is. I have seen on my king henry vft that the new growth is coming out of a slightly different spot than it used to be, and on my typical vft there are a lot more parts of the rhizome where leaves used to be on one side than the other. I believe this is because the position of the growth point changed. I read the study in the forum( I believe Copper2 posted it but I might be wrong) that we originally were debating about whether they did this or not(And also the forum that this debate should have stayed in)
By Benny
I do not believe that I am the one stuck on this. I am not first to reply. Maybe instead of posting your opinion backed by a almost two hundred year old article, give the link to previous arguments. This prevents further arguments, and the constant repetitive ness. I feel the need to post when someone is posting false (in my opinion) information.

I think next Spring I will do a very detailed "study" and post it on here. That way there is some recent information to refer to.

Not trying to egg anyone on. Just trying to solve this constant battle.
Artchic528 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
If you are not the one stuck on this then why do you have to keep arguing about it? I specifically said not to turn this into a debate and you did it anyway. Just because I made it so there was a possibility you could argue about doesn't mean that you have to debate it and doesn't make me responsible for you doing so. I was trying to help the user by using observations from a scientific study. What use would posting the link to the previous debate provide, it would not help the user find out what is happening to the vft which was the original topic of the thread before you decided to turn it into a debate. Just because the study is 200 years old doesn't make it false, vfts have changed very little if at all since then. You might as well say that the Greeks didn't learn that the world was round because they learned it in 5 BC. What do you have to explain my observations? The argument was solved before, people went their own ways and accepted that other people believed something else. You decided to start the argument again. I feel that an appropriate reply to my original post would be" I don't agree that vfts die and a division replaces it like sanguinearocks101 said, but it could also be..."
By Artchic528
Tigergirl2000 wrote:So I have two Venus fly traps, both of which I just cut off flower stalks from. One of them seems to be doing just fine, but I noticed my bigger one was acting a little odd. When it's flower stalk started to appear and get taller, it was still very healthy, with good coloration and fast closing traps. But I noticed that after I cut the flower stalk off last week, it started to sort of deteriorate a little bit. It started with a few healthy traps starting to turn more dull in color, sort of a greenish yellowish tint. I didn't pay much mind to it until I noticed that a few of those traps were fairly new and perfectly healthy when the flower stalk was still growing. Then I fed one of the traps the other day (one of the newer ones), and it closed slowly instead of fast. I had fed that same trap a few days before I cut off the flower stalk, and it had closed fast that time. But now it seems that the traps are sluggish. In addition to the traps being slow, I noticed that the new trap that had started growing next to the flower stalk seems to have stopped growing (I swear, it's been the exact same length and height ever since I cut off the stalk). It appears to have healthy coloration, but it seems as though it has stopped growing. For clarification, I made sure to cut the flower stalk off before it got too long, so I never expected the plant to turn sluggish or start declining in health a little bit. Should I be concerned for my flytrap's life? I've had these plants since January, and they've really thrived in my care, and I don't want to lose either of them, especially since I believed I was doing a pretty good job as a novice grower up until now. I would really appreciate any help from anyone with more experience than me. If it helps, I can provide pictures of the plant.
I'm very sorry that your thread derailed so quickly. Apparently some people can't let go of a debate that has long since ended.

The reason why your plants have stalled in their growth is because cutting the flower stalk put it into a state of shock. A flytrap puts most of their energy into producing the flower stem and when that's suddenly removed, they need some time to readjust and start putting that energy into their leaves and traps again. You should see growth again in a couple of weeks given that they are in the right conditions.
sanguinearocks101, Benny, Panman and 1 others liked this
By Benny
@sanguinearocks101 Your post seemed very hostile. If mine made it sound like I was upset, I apologize. I was not angry before this post you just made.
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:05 pm I feel that an appropriate reply to my original post would be" I don't agree that vfts die and a division replaces it like sanguinearocks101 said, but it could also be..."
I am sorry if you did not get the answer you were expecting.
sanguinearocks101 wrote:What use would posting the link to the previous debate provide
The current situation we are in. It would provide unbiased answers as this was already debated. I think this is the third flower stalk question posted in the past 2 months. I have found recent articles that state the venus flytrap to be perennial. I can PM you the links if you want me to.

Please do not accuse me of continuing a debate intentionally. You brought up many new points in your last post. I am merely trying to throw out another answer to the question. How about we "agree to disagree" if you know what I mean. Maybe we could both try doing observations next season.
Artchic528 wrote:I'm very sorry that your thread derailed so quickly.
I would argee, I apologize to the OP. There is just some diverse opinions on this topic. Artchic528 answered your question splendidly.
By Matt
Artchic528 wrote:The reason why your plants have stalled in their growth is because cutting the flower stalk put it into a state of shock. A flytrap puts most of their energy into producing the flower stem and when that's suddenly removed, they need some time to readjust and start putting that energy into their leaves and traps again. You should see growth again in a couple of weeks given that they are in the right conditions.
This is exactly right. Even when flower stalks are cut, the Venus flytrap will stall for a while then resume growing. Sometimes the main growth point dies, but more often the same rhizome that produced the flower stalk will simply keep growing after stalling for a few weeks as it shifts its energy back to producing leaves and traps again instead of a flower stalk.
By MikeB
Benny wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pmI am not trying to seem hostile. I just know that what I believe is true!
The scientific principle is not based on belief. It is based on observation and experimentation that can be duplicated and confirmed by others. I have not seen anyone confirm the findings in the article that you referenced since it was published 91 years ago. And to be honest, I think you're doing nothing more than making a mountain out of a mole hill.
By Artchic528
MikeB wrote:
Benny wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pmI am not trying to seem hostile. I just know that what I believe is true!
The scientific principle is not based on belief. It is based on observation and experimentation that can be duplicated and confirmed by others. I have not seen anyone confirm the findings in the article that you referenced since it was published 91 years ago. And to be honest, I think you're doing nothing more than making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Honestly, just drop it already.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!