FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By alanmota2004
Posts:  229
Joined:  Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm
#355324
Hiya! I havent been on this forum in a very long while and i know i was controversial back then but i apologized and every was good afterwords.Anyways last week i got back into the carnvirous plant hobby after losing interest in the hobby for other things.And,so my addiction started up again after going to lowes and saving a couple plants from the death cubes and among them was this nepenthes ventricosa that look very well than the other ones for sale and so i bought it.I ended up repotting the plant in a hanging basket from a previous nepenthes that I had and placed on my front porch where it gets a lot of direct sun and the leaves are started to seem burned should i place it somewhere else wheres theres shade or sun?
Thanks again-alan
Image

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
User avatar
By sanguinearocks101
Location: 
Posts:  1001
Joined:  Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:56 am
#355332
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
Apollyon liked this
User avatar
By alanmota2004
Posts:  229
Joined:  Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm
#355335
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

User avatar
By alanmota2004
Posts:  229
Joined:  Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm
#355338

alanmota2004 wrote:
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
So i let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

User avatar
By sanguinearocks101
Location: 
Posts:  1001
Joined:  Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:56 am
#355363
alanmota2004 wrote:So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
You can leave it outside in the sun and let it get used to it like that, but it will greatly harm your plant and there is a chance of it dying.
I would start off leaving it outside for 30 minutes, increase the time by 10 minutes a day,
when you get to 2 hours, increase it by 15 minutes a day,
when you get to 3 1/2 hours you can increase it by 30 minutes a day.
You could probably do it faster than this but I like to keep it on the safe side.
User avatar
By alanmota2004
Posts:  229
Joined:  Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm
#355375
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
alanmota2004 wrote:So let it get used to the sun on my front porch i keep it there and it get alot of hot sun there

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
You can leave it outside in the sun and let it get used to it like that, but it will greatly harm your plant and there is a chance of it dying.
I would start off leaving it outside for 30 minutes, increase the time by 10 minutes a day,
when you get to 2 hours, increase it by 15 minutes a day,
when you get to 3 1/2 hours you can increase it by 30 minutes a day.
You could probably do it faster than this but I like to keep it on the safe side.
Ok thank you I will keep you updated on how its doing or if anything is going wrong

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
Posts:  89
Joined:  Tue May 05, 2020 2:49 am
#355379
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Berrybob wrote:With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
It really depends on the species you're talking about, with species like Nepenthes aenigma that grow in deep shade, they'll be better off in shadier conditions. As a general rule you should give Nepenthes bright light. Many people in Florida grow their Nepenthes x ventrata outside.
I have a friend who grows all kinds of different Nepenthes outside. We live in Florida and the conditions are great for it. The more "delicate" species he will put under a 50% shade cloth but one like you're talking about he has growing out there hanging from the side of his shed with no problems lol.

Honestly, once my cuttings begin taking off, I plan to acclimate them outside. Let them reach their best potential. Still have a lot of research I need to do on them however, they're weird crosses and I'm no expert
By hungry carnivores
Posts:  255
Joined:  Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:31 am
#355391
Ventratas don't really care. I've put mine in different (and crazy) soil mixes, including one in standard, fertilized potting soil. It actually grows the fastest :lol: .

That said, if you're looking to get more specialized nepenthes (highland mainly) you will need to provide direct sunlight and somehow find a way to let them stay cold.
Lowland species prefer less light.

When people give Nep advice, they are species- or altitude-specific, just wanted to put that out there .
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Berrybob
Posts:  107
Joined:  Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 am
#355570
Berrybob wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:20 am With nepenthes you don't want much direct sunlight. I would keep it somewhere where it can get indirect light.
Sorry for my misleading information.

Can't help with critter ID, but I occasionally get[…]

Also in the pot is a big mat of mystery utriculari[…]

Better Gro Moss is long fiber sphagnum moss.

So far, I've only grown Sarrs from a rhizome. I ha[…]

Black N. bicalcarata

I love it, how much did you pay if you don't mind?

So awhile 3-4 months back I left my plant on the t[…]

Another Tragedy... Help Needed

Like the sound of that!!! My perlite looks ugly at[…]

I also think there may be a difference between the[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!