FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Max_I
I have a small computer fan running 24/7 inside my terrarium but Is all day too much? It instantly starts blowing the humidity out when my humidifier turns on and I’m wondering if this would make the humidity too low?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4339 times
By Max_I
Okay thanks, how should I regulate that? Also would the humidity be too high if the fan wasn’t running? After the humidifier kicks on the entire terrarium is completely clouded and there plants are thoroughly wet. If I should regulate the fan should I turn it on for minute intervals or hourly? Also one more thing, should that differ in day and night?
By Max_I
Okay thanks! Would 4-6 would be enough to prevent fungus for sure?
By Max_I
The thing about the fan on at night is that It’s pretty much necessary for the temp drop because I put a frozen liter bottle in my terrarium and It drops the temp down to about 54 for 7 hours but only if the fan is blowing constantly
By Max_I
If I have it on for about 7-9 hours at night, how long should I have it on during the day?
By Max_I
Okay thanks I hope I haven’t been hurting my plants with low humidity. I do have an automatic timer but would that be rendered useless if the fan was to blow all day?
By sanguinearocks101
Max_I wrote:Okay thanks I hope I haven’t been hurting my plants with low humidity.
Low humidity will not hurt Nepenthes unless they are used to very high humidity like they would have in tissue culture.
Max_I wrote:I do have an automatic timer but would that be rendered useless if the fan was to blow all day?
Correct
By Max_I
Okay thanks for the info I set up a timer so the fan only blows at certain times, when the fan doesn’t blow the humidity never drops 100% shouldnt this be a problem with the reader? Maybe water staying inside of it. I see no condensation or anything so It’s impossible for the humidity to be 100% due to there being gaps in the Saran Wrap
By Max_I
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 pm
Max_I wrote:Okay thanks I hope I haven’t been hurting my plants with low humidity.
Low humidity will not hurt Nepenthes unless they are used to very high humidity like they would have in tissue culture.
Max_I wrote:I do have an automatic timer but would that be rendered useless if the fan was to blow all day?
Correct
Since my humidifier turns on the moment the humidity drops under 80% and takes about 10 minutes for the fan to drop it down again wouldn’t they still be getting the optimum humidity even with the fan blowing at all times?
By Eatinbugs
If that terrarium will hold water in the bottom, create a false bottom with about 2 inches of water and put an aquarium airstone in there attached to an air pump. Go small on the fan. In my 18x18x18 terrarium I use a Noiseblocker brand 40mm fan. I grow a Hamata in there now with ice packs at night been using this setup for years now. Two ice packs gets me about 60 degrees and three gets me 55 or lower depending on the size of the third pack. The small fan runs a while e ey few hours during the day and constantly at night. The top of the terrarium only has a small opening for fresh air. Humidity stays above 80% at all times. No issues with mold or fungus.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!