FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By crazy_carnivores
I was just curious and wanted to see what other flytrap care members grow besides carnivorous plants. I'll start.

Hi, my name is Bennett, I live near Stanford University. Other than carnivorous plants, I grow a wide variety of succulents as well as the occasional bromeliad. No carnivorous ones yet though! I also grow lettuce tomatoes and other vegetables via hydroponics. I've tried to grow orchids multiple times but Can never seem to get the hang of it. :lol:
By ChefDean
Well, being a Chef, I have my own little herb garden. Fresh herbs are always in style. I don't do a veggie garden because I use so many different varieties of veggies that it's just much easier to buy them. If I grew all the veggies I use, I think my entire back yard would be a garden.
Having said that, my wife hinted that she wanted a butterfly garden to just relax in. So, during the shutdown, I had time to rip out 500 square feet of lawn and turn it into a place for her. I have a bunch of different annuals, but a lot of perennials as well. Kind of a mix of plants that repel mosquitoes, while others attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Lemongrass, two types of lavender, marigolds, bee balm, coryopsids, two types of hibiscus, three types of milkweed, a Japanese maple, and a patch of Cardinal Climbers. I'm sure I haven't listed them all, but you get the idea.
sanguinearocks101, Matt liked this
By Panman
Tomatoes and, at the moment, red bud trees to replace the deforestation of our local beaver. It is a long story but let's just say it has a penchant for fruit trees. :x
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
I grow tomatoes, peas, green beans, potatoes, basil, cucumber, yellow squash, watermelons, sweet potatoes, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, asparagus, eggplant, jalapenos, sweet peppers, mint, and have some apple, cherry, apricot, and peach trees. :D As you can tell I'm really big into gardening.
By Benny
I grow many different herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, mint, and one more I can't think of). Peas, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, onions, peppers, and squash. Also have random fruit trees that stupid squirrels pick at. None edibles include lavender, creeping jenny, daisies, hyacinth, daffodils, zinnias and random flowers I forgot the names of. By far the most impressive of them all is the peony flowers the size of a dinner plate! They grow almost on their own here once established.
By Panman
Benny wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:04 pm None edibles include lavender
I believe true lavender is an herb used in French cooking.
Benny liked this
By hungry carnivores
I've got a pretty expansive succulent garden, with rare succulents and desert-geraniums, and more. I often include succulents or leaf cuttings in trades :D .

However, my favorite non-carnivorous plant I'm growing is a squash I bought in a tiny village in Peru. It's likely undescribed, and probably has been sitting around since when the Spaniards brought it there, because the town was really small, little to no internet/resources. I paid 1 sol for 10 seeds.

I plant em, expecting nothing. I put em in the raised bed, where tomatoes normally grow. The squash's cotyledon leaves were 5 inches long. The actual leaves are about 18*18 inches. It's absolutely massive. Also has roots coming from the stem to anchor it down.

I googled around squash cultivar websites and this plant is not specified. If it makes seeds, I'll register it and pass em around this community to ensure it's survival.
Benny liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
I have a small veggie garden Im slowly expanding as I clear more scrub bush from the land. Fruit trees, avocados that I have grown from seed, this year I want to try and graft one with a great tree a friend has. Im wanting to have a small medicinal herb area also.
By sanguinearocks101
hungry carnivores wrote: However, my favorite non-carnivorous plant I'm growing is a squash I bought in a tiny village in Peru. It's likely undescribed, and probably has been sitting around since when the Spaniards brought it there, because the town was really small, little to no internet/resources. I paid 1 sol for 10 seeds.

I plant em, expecting nothing. I put em in the raised bed, where tomatoes normally grow. The squash's cotyledon leaves were 5 inches long. The actual leaves are about 18*18 inches. It's absolutely massive. Also has roots coming from the stem to anchor it down.

I googled around squash cultivar websites and this plant is not specified. If it makes seeds, I'll register it and pass em around this community to ensure it's survival.
Do you have any pictures :D How big has it gotten overall? Hopefully you can name it as a new species or cultivar soon!
By Nepenthes0260
I don't grow tons of veggies and fruits, but I like wild tomatoes. They're like normal tomatoes, but taste toxic, look horrible always, and and a super big pain to grow! But nonetheless they're interesting lil' plants and are just unique enough to catch my attention. Also, the fruits on Solanum chilense look like hairy little marbles.
crazy_carnivores liked this
By DragonsEye
Living in an apartment places some serious restrictions on how many plants one can have and what types. I currently have: orchids, cps, bromeliads (Tillandsia), aroids, various unique ferns, gesneriads, cacti/succulents, ant plants, Begonia, and some other miscellaneous plants.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
My second favorite plants to grow aside from carnivorous plants are christmas cacti. They're easily propagated, and have wonderful blooms in the winter! A time where most other plants are going through dormancy.

Aside from that, I grow various desert cacti like peanut cacti, and some mammillaria. I also have a decently sized garden with zucchini, cucumber, and luffa plants, and a lot of alyssum plants.
Benny liked this
By xanthoparmelia
My vegetable gardens. I have one bed devoted to just asparagus and two other beds that typically grow potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, corn, onions, garlic, zucchini, eggplant and various herbs, depending on what I feel like growing that season.

I have a modest succulent collection and a handful of tillandsia, bromeliads, aquarium plants and houseplants. Within the past month, I've started dabbling with bonsai.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!