FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
I’m thinking of moving my Cephalotus from my garage to my basement. If the temperature is consistently 74-71 F during the day, and 68 F during the evening, would this cause an issue? I know they recommend a 10 degree drop during the evening, but is this only if the temps are high?

Also, is an occasional 90 F during the day high in my garage an issue if during the evening the temp drops to 68/70 F?

I’m trying to decide if I should move my plants to my basement. Average high temps are 80-85 F during the summer here in Iowa.
By hungry carnivores
I've never degree-dropped my cephs. I keep em in high high humidity along with my pings and sundews, and they grow faster this way.

That said, I acclimate them to high humidity slowly. I'd advise you keep your cephs in the garage, perhaps insulate the pots a bit. If the lids begin to lower and touch the peristomes, then move it. If not, you're fine.
By jkochuni
Here is my setup. I have them in humidity domes, and I have been acclimating them slowly to lower humidity. Currently they are at the high 70s. My basement would be a more stable environment, but I worry they wouldn’t get that normal seasonal temperature changes. However, I worry that occasional 90 degree heat might hurt them. Here are the temps and humidity for this week in my garage. Thoughts? Yesterday was an abnormal day with temps.

Apollyon liked this
By jkochuni
My other question is if growing Cephalotus in 68 F temps year round bad, if I adjust the light period for seasonal changes?
By Benny
The plant will catch on to the seasons of the light changes. 91 is a little hot for cephs. Humidity looks OK.

If you don't mind me asking, what is that you used to measure the humidity and temps? Is it an app?
By hungry carnivores
You can't do that, your phone definitely did not waste money and PCB space for a thermometer and hygrometer. I got a little cube one from Ikea, you can also buy hygrometers from Violin/strings stores. Thermometers are easy to come by for cheap.

Lux meter apps, are, however, a great way to measure the amount of light your plants are getting.
By jkochuni
Benny wrote:The plant will catch on to the seasons of the light changes. 91 is a little hot for cephs. Humidity looks OK.

If you don't mind me asking, what is that you used to measure the humidity and temps? Is it an app?
Thanks. Sure it’s the following used with their iOS app.

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Temperatur ... B07Y36FWTT
Benny liked this
By jkochuni
So I would be best off on moving them to my basement?
By Benny
jkochuni wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm
Benny wrote:The plant will catch on to the seasons of the light changes. 91 is a little hot for cephs. Humidity looks OK.

Thanks. I'll have to look into it.
jkochuni wrote:So I would be best off on moving them to my basement?
I would say yes.
By jkochuni
Benny wrote:
jkochuni wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks. I'll have to look into it.
jkochuni wrote:So I would be best off on moving them to my basement?
I would say yes.
Thanks.
By Monadog
I grow mine indoors under lights, no extra humidity or special treatment (I do use distilled water) and they grow just fine. Basically just like a house plant.
By jkochuni
Monadog wrote:I grow mine indoors under lights, no extra humidity or special treatment (I do use distilled water) and they grow just fine. Basically just like a house plant.
Thanks for the info!
By Matt
Monadog wrote:I grow mine indoors under lights, no extra humidity or special treatment (I do use distilled water) and they grow just fine. Basically just like a house plant.
When I was growing a very nice Hummer's Giant Cephalotus many years ago now, it was the same for me. Indoors under lights no special temps or treatment and it grew great....until I heavily topped watered it when I was going away for a week and it suddenly died. Sudden Cephalotus death syndrome is reportedly common. I think it's best to water them from below, though I'm certainly no Cephalotus expert.
By jkochuni
Matt wrote:
When I was growing a very nice Hummer's Giant Cephalotus many years ago now, it was the same for me. Indoors under lights no special temps or treatment and it grew great....until I heavily topped watered it when I was going away for a week and it suddenly died. Sudden Cephalotus death syndrome is reportedly common. I think it's best to water them from below, though I'm certainly no Cephalotus expert.
Thanks for the info. I was planning on using the tray flooding method sparingly. Tomorrow I’m going to move them inside, and into my basement. Cephalotus are new to me, and I have a feeling I’ll probably learn a few tricks the hard way.
Matt liked this
By jkochuni
Moved the Cephalotus to the basement over the weekend. I think it was the right move. Average high around 75F, and average low about 63F. Much more stable conditions. Do you think I could try a Heliamphora like Burgundy-Black in these conditions?

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!