FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:58 pmMy king Henry got a haircut 2 weeks ago and I made sure to make it a bare rhizome except for the new growth that hasn't popped up yet!
By "haircut", did you mean "cut off the dead leaves" or "cut off all leaves"? If a leaf is still green, then it is still producing food for the plant via photosynthesis. Cutting off the green leaves before they die is actually impeding the growth of your plant.
By Matt
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:They were all droopy and useless, they didn't even close!
They might have been useless for catching insects, but that is their secondary function. Leaves and traps on Venus flytraps provide most of the energy to the plant through photosynthesis. By cutting off all of the leaves, you essentially took away all of the source of energy for the plant and forced it to use its energy stores in the rhizome. This is taxing for a plant to do and, if done too often, will lead to the plant not growing back.

It is never a good idea to cut off anything on any Venus flytrap that is green.
ChefDean, Artchic528, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By DragonsEye
A yellow leaf you can cut off. Where you understanding seems to be lacking, Joshua, is in the function of the leaves. Insects and other prey items are merely "fertilizer" in a form the plants can readily use. As with any "normal" plant, vft's produce their own food via photosynthesis -- and for that they need their living green leaves. Even if the trap itself is dead/useless, as long as the rest of the leave is green (though, yes, so cultivars turn red in strong sun but that is a more indepth conversation for another time) and alive, it is still serving the very useful function of manufacturing food for the plant.

Glad to hear you plant is doing so well!
Artchic528 liked this
By Panman
It's not going to make it if you can't get it more light.
Last edited by Panman on Sat May 30, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artchic528 liked this
By Artchic528
Panman wrote:It's not thing to make it if you can't get it more light.
Yup. If you can't get it more light, it'll just remain weak and anemic and eventually what little energy it has will peter out and it'll die.
Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!