FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By PequilloE
Yesterday I bought a grow light at a garden store, the brand is the same as the garden store and that grow light seems to be popular, so I wanted to give it a try.
IMG_9607.jpeg
IMG_9607.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 9169 times
The instructions say:
•20W
•220-240V AC
•Beam angle 120
•1100lm
•PPF 20 umol/s
•CCT neutral white 3500K
•The LED lights are tuned to a specific spectrum that allows plants to have natural photosynthesis.
•Very high CRI (Color Rendering Index).
•Should be more than 2 inches (5cm) from the light
•On for 16 hours and turns off for 8 hours.
IMG_9593.jpg
IMG_9593.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 9169 times
I recently bought the vfts and they’re gradually introduced to direct sunlight.
IMG_9608.jpg
IMG_9608.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 9169 times
(I put the paper on when putting it outside just in case the self-watering glass pot would burn the vfts)
Currently they’re 3 inches (ca. 7,5cm) from the light. Is that enough?
Last edited by PequilloE on Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DragonsEye
The super short answer is "Maybe." The longer answer is accompanied by a question.

When you say "direct sunlight," do you mean as on a windowsill? The best thing for your vfts would be to be outside in actual direct sun for the summer.

If they are receiving direct sun on a windowsill, then direction the window faces as well as the season and you latitude will all be factors.

In any event, listen to what your plants tell you. If they start getting long, leggier leaves and lose their red color, then they will be better off closer to the light source. If the growth stays compact and they keep their coloration, then the distance is probably okay.
Matt liked this
By PequilloE
DragonsEye wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm The super short answer is "Maybe." The longer answer is accompanied by a question.

When you say "direct sunlight," do you mean as on a windowsill? The best thing for your vfts would be to be outside in actual direct sun for the summer.
I mean outside in actual direct sunlight.

DragonsEye wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm In any event, listen to what your plants tell you. If they start getting long, leggier leaves and lose their red color, then they will be better off closer to the light source. If the growth stays compact and they keep their coloration, then the distance is probably okay.
I see, thank you :D
By Propag8
I had advice on this from reputable grow/hydroponics shop years ago they told me a simple test is to use the back of your hand under the light at the distance your plants will be for a couple of minutes (i know boring) if it feels to hot back it up a bit if it's warm but not to hot it should be ok you want the light as close as safely possible. Of course this isnt an exact science but will get you in the ball park. Disclaimer im not responsible for crispy cps lol.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!