FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Chlorophyll_addict
Hey guys I’ve been using dried LFS along with some CP mix I’ve bought from vendors. I want to make my own mix with peat, sand and maybe some perilite. I know silica sand is what we use, but when I went to a well known garden center they had this as “coarse sand”.
I am willing to try using it with a D.spathulata . But please let me know your opinion and if you think even after rinsing that this is a product I should avoid and instead buy silica sand on amazon ( I can’t get it anywhere here and the pool stores filter sand either has chemicals or is way too fine)
Sand I want to use
Sand I want to use
852F6EFD-F0A8-431B-BC87-092D4243D8A1.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5122 times
By Apollyon
Hard to say, if it is a really fine particle I wouldn't mess with it. It'd serve the opposite purpose you want it to. Idk about a pool supply store but I can tell you that the pool filter sand by quikrete sold at home depot and lowes will serve your purpose. 50 pound bag was about 12-13 dollars. Found it in the garden center at HD. Much cheaper than the reseller hustling it on amazon for 35 bucks.
Chlorophyll_addict liked this
By Benny
Chlorophyll_addict wrote:Oh! Wow I didn’t think this one was usable, have you used this brand with success? What was the mix/what plants did you use it with?
I think Apollyon was talking about a different brand. I would not use it, it looks very fine.
By Apollyon
I was talking about the quikrete silica sand (pool filter sand). It's a coarse grain sand. I was saying that if your sand you currently have is a fine grain, don't use it. Sorry about the confusion.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!