FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
Do you think I can keep a ceph year round, outside in zone 9b? I have suddenly gotten ceph fever and really would like to get one sometime.
By Benny
I thought I read they are like darlingtonia californica, where as long as the nights cool down after the hot days, they are fine. I am more worried about the winter, because our nights drop 15-20 degrees in the summer. I do not know how cold hardy they are though.

Maybe I am wrong...
By Bob Beer
Where are you? Zone only tells half the story - it’s about minimum temperatures only. But a zone 9 in Florida or Texas is quite different from a zone 9 in California. Lots of people in California grow them outside. In their natural habitat temps can get down into the low 60s at night during summer, similar to the pacific coast of the US. (They grow outdoors in Seattle just fine during the summer.) If you live in Florida or the Gulf Coast it might be different; it would be a good idea to ask someone growing them in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benny liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Cephs are not like Darlingtonia. Cobras don't like their roots hot, but are fine if their foliage is in high temps. Cephs like all parts of them cool. When temps get over 80-85, my cephs really start to pout and their lids droop. I've tried to grow them in my HL greenhouse for two years, and they always hate the summers. I keep all of mine in an indoor setup with artificial lighting now. In the winter they produce more non-carnivorous leaves if you decrease their light levels.
Benny liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:I think they are indoor plants Benny...... Just like nepenthes, they don't like hot weather

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Lowland neps actually do like warm temperatures, Extreme lowland neps can handle near 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
By Benny
I live in Nevada County, California.
Max cold in the winter is a brief 20 degree freeze.
Max heat in the summer very rarely goes over 100
We get drops in nighttime temps (as said before)
Bob Beer wrote:it would be a good idea to ask someone growing them in that area.
Haven't been able to find anyone living in my area. Will do some searching ;)
By Benny
:cry: Thanks anyway...
By Bob Beer
Yeah, 20 would be a bit more than they could take, though I know of people who keep theirs through the winter in cold frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benny liked this
By Benny
I may try keeping them in a cool frame. I found some of those "thermo cubes" that kick on when the temp reaches 35 degrees, just keeping it above freezing.

Thanks again for the kindly shooting me down (just kidding. You saved me a bunch of money by keeping me from killing my plant - cephs aren't cheap!).
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!