FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By OdryII
Hi from Montreal.

So I decided to rescue the last sad-looking flytrap at Canadian Tire. Things have taken a turn for the better after changing the media and all that.

However, there seem to be new leaves with minuscule traps on them that don't look like they will become anything. There is also a mutant leaf that is three leaves merged together. (see in the picture)

Any idea if this is normal? What cultivar is it? Are these traits a sign of a new/unstable cultivar or am I doing something wrong?
IMG_9680.JPG
IMG_9680.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3399 times
IMG_9682.JPG
IMG_9682.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 3399 times
IMG_9681.JPG
IMG_9681.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3399 times
By OdryII
P.S. Most other growing conditions are well provided except I only had coco coir as a neutral media in quarantine.
By Benny
Definitely a mutation likely caused by stress and poor care. It may not do that again. It does need much more light. Can't say it's a cultivar because there was no tag provided.
By tommyr
OdryII wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 pm P.S. Most other growing conditions are well provided except I only had coco coir as a neutral media in quarantine.
Coco coir needs to be rinsed really well before using. They say it contains a lot of salts. I wouldn't use it personally.
By Matt
It isn't getting enough sunlight and, as others have already mentioned, unless properly prepared, coco coir is not a suitable media for Venus flytraps. They must be grown in some sort of sphagnum -- either peat or long fiber sphagnum will work well.
By OdryII
tommyr wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:08 pm
OdryII wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 pm P.S. Most other growing conditions are well provided except I only had coco coir as a neutral media in quarantine.
Coco coir needs to be rinsed really well before using. They say it contains a lot of salts. I wouldn't use it personally.
yea, that was the only thing I had available while waiting for shipment. I hoped that rinsing and boiling it would be a good place holder.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!