FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I don't know if this is just me, but I've noticed that the time between a new reply being posted and when I receive the notification has been getting very long. For example, there was a reply to a thread I was following posted at 3:36 on May 8. I received the notice at 3:03 on May 9, almost 24 hours later. I realize that there are lots of layers in between and that the problem could easily be with my email (Gmail) or even my carrier (Verizon) but I'm wondering if this is a known problem? Also, less importantly, the link in the notice isn't to the Newest Post but to first entry in the thread.
Last edited by evenwind on Sat May 09, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Artchic528
I've noticed this too. I just received an email notice a few minutes ago about a reply to a thread I started and the reply was made a couple of days ago at the most. I know you have your plate full with things to fix and tweak on here, Matt, so don't feel like this is a high piority though. It's not an inconvienence, just something I've noticed is all.
By Fly Trap Hunter
it has to do with computers talking to each other and how busy the internet is. and my gmail doesnt ping my phone properly either. i have friends i have to say ping me twice if you are trying to reach me. and technically this is purely a inferrence and i have no way to prove i am correct. i doubt it has anything to do with Matt. and to add, i set up my flytrapcare.com acct on my home computer and also on tapatalk. and the website sees me as 2 different people. so i dont get pings on my phone anymore. it all goes to my home computer.
By Artchic528
I use Google Fiber at home and Verizon Wireless as my mobile data source. Both are supposed to be blazingly fast. I guess due to the increase in traffic from the quaranteen the intrawebs are a bit clogged in the bandwith department.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Artchic528 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 pm I use Google Fiber at home and Verizon Wireless as my mobile data source. Both are supposed to be blazingly fast. I guess due to the increase in traffic from the quaranteen the intrawebs are a bit clogged in the bandwith department.
yes. that's what I was trying to say. lol
By evenwind
@Matt, Do we get a "Topic Reply Notification" when someone does a "like"? If we do, it could explain possible huge time difference between the last reply and the reception of the notification. After all, someone could do a "like" days after the last reply was posted.
By evenwind
Matt wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 pm
evenwind wrote:Do we get a "Topic Reply Notification" when someone does a "like"?
I don't think so. I am pretty sure that the "like" feature doesn't do any sort of notification.
If it's not the "like", then something really isn't making sense. I woke up this morning to an email that there was a new reply in "Seed Bank Shutting Down for Management Changeover" thread. It came in at 3:01 AM on 5/11. The last entry in that thread is dated 2:36 PM on 5/8.

The interwebs seem to run much faster with communication from, say, Amazon or Paypal. Even in these crowded times, the longest it's taken for Amazon to send a receipt is a couple of hours, and it's ususally less than 10 minutes.
By Matt
I think it could possibly be a backlog of emails going through the email service we use (SendGrid), though I've not tried to track down the exact bottleneck yet. We are super slammed right now in terms of spring repotting work, lots of orders, along with two other side businesses we are running and trying to keep up with!
evenwind wrote:The interwebs seem to run much faster with communication from, say, Amazon or Paypal. Even in these crowded times, the longest it's taken for Amazon to send a receipt is a couple of hours, and it's ususally less than 10 minutes.
I wonder what services they use for sending emails? I am guessing they don't use SendGrid like we do...
By Artchic528
Matt wrote:
evenwind wrote:The interwebs seem to run much faster with communication from, say, Amazon or Paypal. Even in these crowded times, the longest it's taken for Amazon to send a receipt is a couple of hours, and it's ususally less than 10 minutes.
I wonder what services they use for sending emails? I am guessing they don't use SendGrid like we do...
Amazon uses their own inhouse software called Amazon SES or Amazon Simple Email Service. A quick search on Google gave me this information.
Matt liked this
By Matt
OK, I think I have found a fix for the problem!!

Please let me know if you still do not receive "topic reply notifications" in a timely manner.

I believe that the problem with them being delayed should be resolved now as of 11am PST on Wednesday, January 6, 2021.

Thanks!
evenwind liked this
By Matt
With the new server setup and the newest release of phpBB software, I found out I had to tweak some settings to make certain things work as they should. Evidently, the email notifications were being queued in some fashion based on a setting in the admin panel. A simple change to prevent queueing and it was fixed!

Also, the login issue had to do with the underlying webserver software sending the phpBB software the same IP address for every user. There was a setting to use the forwarded IP address from the proxy server instead of the 127.0.0.1 address that phpBB was seeing every user as!

I am so glad to have both the annoying login problem and the topic reply notification setting fixed now. This is the issue with server upgrades. Stuff always breaks and sometimes, when it isn't a priority, it takes a while to get everything fixed. I've been entirely focused on ensuring the store works first, which it did have some significant issues to sort out. And I've procrastinated getting the forum software fixed. What a relief to have most of the major issues I am aware of fixed now on both the forum and the store!

I can't think of anything else right now that isn't working well, so please be on the lookout and let me know if you do notice anything behaving oddly and I'll try to get it fixed. Hoping that we're good for another few years though until I have to do another server update!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!