FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By brittd1216
Hello,
I am a new CP owner, I've been eyeing some various plants for awhile now. Well yesterday I went to my local garden shop and they had containers of venus flytraps, sundews, and pitcher plants in each container for a relatively good price. So I impulsively bought one, now I am wondering if this arrangement is okay?
Should these plants be re potted? What is a good growing mix for them?
I have all the necessary supplies for grow media (long fiber sphagnum, peat moss, and play sand, as well as distilled water).
Also, any and all advice is welcome please.
I thank you in advance.
Attachments:
IMG_5332.jpg
IMG_5332.jpg (634.98 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
IMG_5331.jpg
IMG_5331.jpg (585.03 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
IMG_5330.jpg
IMG_5330.jpg (589.35 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
IMG_5328.jpg
IMG_5328.jpg (225.62 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
By Jaker00

brittd1216 wrote:Hello,
I am a new CP owner, I've been eyeing some various plants for awhile now. Well yesterday I went to my local garden shop and they had containers of venus flytraps, sundews, and pitcher plants in each container for a relatively good price. So I impulsively bought one, now I am wondering if this arrangement is okay?
I have all the necessary supplies for grow media (long fiber sphagnum, peat moss, and play sand, as well as distilled water).
I thank you in advance.
I would suggest reporting them, I use 1 part peat and 1 part perlite, and I added some extra spaghnum moss I had, for a pot you it's best to use a nursery pot, and you can add a cover pot if wanted, the pitcher plants require a dormancy which can be done outside in zones 6-8 I believe, or you could do it in the fridge or a cold garage or shed, the sundew does not need a dormancy, for water you said you had distilled water that will work amazing, I hope my info could help!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Jaker00

Jaker00 wrote:
brittd1216 wrote:Hello,
I thank you in advance.
I would suggest reporting them, I use 1 part peat and 1 part perlite, and I added some extra spaghnum moss I had, for a pot you it's best to use a nursery pot, and you can add a cover pot if wanted, the pitcher plants require a dormancy which can be done outside in zones 6-8 I believe, or you could do it in the fridge or a cold garage or shed, the sundew does not need a dormancy, for water you said you had distilled water that will work amazing, I hope my info could help!

*the venus fly trap will also require a dormancy

By Jaker00
brittd1216 wrote:Thank you!
Yes definitely helped, I guess I will need to separate them for dormancy periods. Any tips on how to separate these little guys without harming them?
No, sorry.

By Shadowtski
All three of those are temperate plants.
They all like the same conditions.
All of them need dormancy.
I see a Drosera intermedia, a Sarracenia leucophylla hybrid, and a Fly Trap in your pot.
The media looks to be a peat/perlite mix, which is fine.
The media level is a little low, but you can leave it for a while.

My suggestion is to get it outside or under VERY bright artificial light.
Give it distilled water or rain water.
Let it go into dormancy this Fall/Winter and put it into a better pot then.

Just my 02 ¢ worth.

Good growing,
Mike
brittd1216 liked this

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!