FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I don't have many carnivorous plants, but the bulk of them are outside to take advantage of the warming temperatures.
I have a quad of mature Carbarups (it was a trio when I got it, but a fourth pushed its way in between them), plus about a half a dozen seedlings.
They were all turning a brilliant red in the sun, one seedling, sown in December, just sprouted. But, out of all the pots I have, a bird decided this was the one it wanted to harvest moss from.
I was able to find all 4 mother plants and replant them. However, all 4 taproots were broken, so they're likely done. But only 1 seedling remained in the pot.
My plea is that those of you that received D. Carbarup gemmae from me in the various giveaways keep me in mind when you get gemmae next fall. I'll buy some gemmae from you if you're interested in selling any.
Thanks in advance.
Chef
By ChefDean
A couple people have already reached out to me with offers of gemmae, thank you so much. People like you are what makes the CP community, and members of this forum specifically, such a great circle to be a part of.
On a brighter note, I noticed a clump of moss that seemed out of place in another pot, turned it over, and found another seedling! It seems to have dried out a bit, but I moved it back to its original pot, and rehydrated it.
Fingers crossed!
By Nepenthes0260
ChefDean wrote:A couple people have already reached out to me with offers of gemmae, thank you so much. People like you are what makes the CP community, and members of this forum specifically, such a great circle to be a part of.
On a brighter note, I noticed a clump of moss that seemed out of place in another pot, turned it over, and found another seedling! It seems to have dried out a bit, but I moved it back to its original pot, and rehydrated it.
Fingers crossed!
Oh! Didn't see this thread. Tons of mine sprouted, enough to fill a 6" pot. I will send you some free ones next fall if you want :D.
By ChefDean
Wow, thank you all. Maybe it's the Bourbon talking, but I love you guys!
Update:
The bird hit again, and I lost the seedling that survived from the initial attack. The seedling I found was still there. I may lose this whole pot. :evil:
Short of camping out with a gun, I may have to allow the bird this small victory.
Circle of life baby!
By Artchic528
I don't know how or why it's been working, but when a squirrel decided to rearrange my flytrap pot a handful of times, I moved it about 15-20 feet away to a different location and it's been untouched since. I've also stopped using LFS and gone to a peat moss/perlite mix instead. I believe that birds and squirrels love to use the LFS for their nests, or at the very least like it for the moisture content.

So either do what I did or put a sort of cage around the pots to keep the pesky critters out but with mesh big enough to still allow the insects through. It's simply too bad that our plants don't have bird and squirrel on their menu as well as insects (though according to the opening few paragraphs in Savage Garden, a pigmy marmoset was found in a Nep pitcher being kept in a greenhouse). One can dream though, or prey to the CP gods for such a mutation to happen.
By ChefDean
Thanks for your suggestions about an enclosure. I was looking at options after the attacks and found some tree netting at the local farm store. It was much larger than what I needed, but the holes in the netting were the perfect size, 5/8th of an inch. So I just folded it in half and put a double layer around my little rack of plants. Not an attack since.
By kato_stud25
I just purchased a plant and they sent me a little vial with D. Enodes gemmae as a nice little thank you freebie. I dont think there really up my alley so if there something you'ld be interested in there yours
By ChefDean
kato_stud25 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:12 am I just purchased a plant and they sent me a little vial with D. Enodes gemmae as a nice little thank you freebie. I dont think there really up my alley so if there something you'ld be interested in there yours
I'd definitely be interested in them.
PM me your info so I can PayPal you shipping costs at least, and I'll PM you address info if you're down.
Thank you
Chef
By Panman
Two days ago I literally, and I mean literally, dug two toads out of my bogs. The weather had gotten colder and they burrowed about 1 inch deep in the moss and peat to escape the temperature. And they tore up the area when they did it. I went out yesterday morning to find another explosion where they had uprooted 3 of my fly traps. I sprinkled the bog with red pepper flakes and I'm hoping that will keep them away.
Benny liked this
By ChefDean
Animals can be such turds. They have the whole world, yet they mess with our stuff.
Were you able to save and replant the Flytraps?
If not, and if I get strikes from my flower stalk cutting, I could send a couple. I just cut it a couple weeks ago, so it will be a next Spring before they're big enough, if I even get any.
Panman liked this
By Benny
Ohh, toads sound like quite the issue when growing plants sitting in water! Does anyone know if drosera are deer proof?
By sanguinearocks101
Panman wrote:Two days ago I literally, and I mean literally, dug two toads out of my bogs. The weather had gotten colder and they burrowed about 1 inch deep in the moss and peat to escape the temperature. And they tore up the area when they did it. I went out yesterday morning to find another explosion where they had uprooted 3 of my fly traps. I sprinkled the bog with red pepper flakes and I'm hoping that will keep them away.
Hopefully I won't have any issues with toads. They like to live under my deck and I am planning to build a bog garden right next to it in the future. I might have to get some more garter snakes to keep them at bay.
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:18 pm Animals can be such turds. They have the whole world, yet they mess with our stuff.
Were you able to save and replant the Flytraps?
If not, and if I get strikes from my flower stalk cutting, I could send a couple. I just cut it a couple weeks ago, so it will be a next Spring before they're big enough, if I even get any.
Thanks, but they should be fine. I've got a dozen or so of them in two bogs, not counting the divisions I've got going. I appreciate the thought.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!