FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I've grown Venus flytraps for decades, but I never tried leaf-pull propagation until recently. I bought a G16 Slack's Giant last December. Because it had gotten cold quickly where I live, I had to keep the plant indoors over the winter. It did fine for months and then suddenly stopped growing. In early March, I unpotted it and discovered that the growth point had rotted (it turned brown and mushy).

I was going to toss it on the compost pile, but then I remembered the propagation article on FlytrapCare.com https://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation ... -fly-traps Rather than write the plant off as a total loss, I decided to give it a try. I pulled all of the healthy leaves off at the base, stuck them in damp sphagnum moss, and put the pot in a south-facing window under LED grow lights. After a few weeks, I spotted the first green sprout at the base of a leaf! In the end, almost every leaf pull was a success, and I now have a dozen little G16 Slack's Giants in the works. I will definitely do this again. :mrgreen:
Leaf pull success.jpg
Leaf pull success.jpg (306.93 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Benny, Matt liked this
By MikeB
Some of the leaves that I used were dead on the outer 1/3, and they still worked.
By Benny
Great success Mike! I had my first strike 2 weeks ago, it is such a good feeling! :P
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!