FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Johns Flytraps
Hello, everyone. I am a new member here and recently received my first flytrap as a B52 from Joel's Carnivorous Plants. I did a ton of research on my flytrap and am very excited to help it grow. It has been 3 days like the instructions said to wait before feeding it. Today I fed one of my traps a grub that I found by searching under a large rock, and used tweezers to feed it. Surprisingly, once the trap closed on its meal, the grub began pushing on the walls of the trap to try to escape. It pried the trap open about every minute (just slightly) and it would immediately close back up. Gladly, in about 10 minutes it stopped struggling or died inside. Is there any chance that I somehow managed to hurt it?
By Johns Flytraps
Sorry for not showing a picture. Here it is guys! The trap closest to the camera is the one I just fed.
Attachments:
540C281C-3709-4E46-83CE-D2230AC3EA70.jpeg
540C281C-3709-4E46-83CE-D2230AC3EA70.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 2243 times
By tommyr
There is no need to feed the plant. Grow it properly and you will not need to feed it ever.
By tommyr
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
tommyr wrote:There is no need to feed the plant. Grow it properly and you will not need to feed it ever.
Feeding vfts helps them grow more vigorously and does not hurt the plant unless you feed it meat or something like that.
Feeding the plant is not needed if you are growing it correctly. I stand by that statement. I have never feed any of my traps in the 12 years I've been keeping them. They get their own food very easily.
By Benny
I agree with tommy. A flytrap will catch food when it is ready. If it is unhealthy and not ready to eat, then it produces little or no nectar attractant. However, when it is growing healthy, it will produce plenty of sticky stuff around the trap.

One more thing to note about Joel's plant instructions: he says to always keep the pot filled to a quarter the way with water. Don't do this unless it is really warm outside, but always keep the soil moist.

I got your SASE for your March request the other d[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!