FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jenny Lee
I read on here how to propagate my vft. Here are pictures of my plant (repotted) and I took the flower/stem and propogated it. I will post pictures when they grow some more.
Attachments:
IMG_7245.jpg
IMG_7245.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
IMG_7244.jpg
IMG_7244.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
By Benny
The flower stalk may not strike because it has used most of its energy on blooming. If you cut it at two to three inches the strike rate will be higher. Plant looks good though!
By Matt
The flower stalk is highly unlikely to strike when it is at that stage (almost flowering). The best time to try to propagate from flower stalks is when they are between 2 and 3 inches tall.

Also, I'd highly recommend fixing the potting job on the flytrap. It appears that the rhizome is quite exposed and the flytrap could be at risk of dehydration. It needs to be completely covered with soil. Any part of the bulb that is white should be beneath ground while leaving the center growth point uncovered.
By Matt
Wow, that guy has no idea what he is talking about! I rarely say that, but he is entirely wrong. That is not "the crown of the plant." The crown is where the traps emerge. Keeping the rhizome partially exposed like he suggest will very quickly weaken the plant and could lead to significant dehydration problems.

Also, he appears to cut off perfectly healthy leaves and traps, which is not advisable because it exposes the plant to disease and doesn't let them recoup the energy they invested in creating that tissue (flytraps are good at reabsorbing energy from leaves and flower stalks).

After watching that video, it encourages me to make some actually good, knowledgeable Venus flytrap care videos with Leah.
Coco, Benny, TatOZ_2020 and 1 others liked this
By Jenny Lee
Thank you. After reading your initial response I went out and added a little bit more Pete Moss mix to my pot so I think my plant should be OK now. Thank you! :)
Matt liked this
By Benny
You know what, I tip my hat to Brad on his nepenthes, but his venus flytraps don't do too well. He also keeps them in a greenhouse, making dehydration and transvaporation though leaves less drastic. Brad is not a good flytrap care source. It hurt me when he pulled the chunk of rhizome off when pruning! I now only pull off dead growth when it is dried and crumbles off the plant, for that reason :lol: .

And Matt, you guys need to make more videos! People will buy a plant and not know what to do with it and search venus flytrap care on YouTube. If you put out some helpful and accurate videos, you could save lots of flytraps!
TatOZ_2020, tommyr, Matt liked this
By Matt
Benny wrote:You know what, I tip my hat to Brad on his nepenthes, but his venus flytraps don't do too well.
I watched a couple of his other videos and it does look like Brad focuses on Nepenthes and grows them very well. But after seeing that Venus flytrap video he produced, it is obvious he doesn't know that species of plant very well!
Benny wrote:And Matt, you guys need to make more videos! People will buy a plant and not know what to do with it and search venus flytrap care on YouTube. If you put out some helpful and accurate videos, you could save lots of flytraps!
I wish more people would read articles but that seems to be an antiquated way of learning these days.

Many years ago, back in 2012 or so, when I was partnered with Steve Doonan down in New Mexico, we made some good care videos. Unfortunately, I never posted them anywhere. I still have the footage and could use it I suppose.

Though, Leah and I have been talking about making videos for a long time. We have some planned to make, but just haven't made the time to do it. We plan to do some this spring, so we shall see if we actually can get ourselves to follow through with it!!
Benny, TatOZ_2020 liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!