FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By f1appyb1rd
I sowed some D. Capensis seeds at the end of September 2019 and from those seeds one plant has produced a flower stalk and is in the midst of flowering.

Today’s flowers.

Yesterday (3/13)

Here are some pics from when I sowed the seeds and then eventually transplanted them into individual pots:

Seeds were sowed on lfsm:peat mix and grown inside my grow closet under T8 fluorescent lights in about 80% RH. Germination of seeds was observed at end of October 2019.

Seedlings at end of November 2019.

Seedlings in January 2020.

Transplanted into individual 2.5” pots containing peat:sand mix at beginning of February 2020.

The biggest seedling (one at beginning of post) began to put out flower stalk at the end of February 2020.

Overall, this has been good practice raising an easy growing drosera species from seed into specimen sized plants. Recently, I have purchased some S. American drosera seeds from Brazil and am currently awaiting their shipment. The species I ordered are:

-Drosera camporupestris
-Drosera graomogolensis
-Drosera spiralis

I am aware that these S. American drosera listed above are a cooler growing species that the Capensis, so I am going to have to create a different setup for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Just a quick comment on plant Identification.
If you originally received seeds that came from 'Big Pink', they should have been labeled Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self or Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X OP (open pollinated) if there were other Cape Sundews flowering at the same time.

Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' is a Cultivar.
It is probably a hybrid between D capensis "Red" and D capensis 'Alba'.
It can only be propagated by asexual methods and retain its identity.
Plants grown from 'Big Pink' seeds will have a variety of appearances.
They are not 'Big Pink'.

Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' has a Pink-ish/Purple-ish flower.
Your plant has a White flower.

If a plant is misidentified and its offspring or seeds get circulated, it causes confusion down the road.

Good growing,
Mike
CarnivoresUnite liked this
By f1appyb1rd
Shadowtski wrote:Just a quick comment on plant Identification.
If you originally received seeds that came from 'Big Pink', they should have been labeled Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self or Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X OP (open pollinated) if there were other Cape Sundews flowering at the same time.

Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' is a Cultivar.
It is probably a hybrid between D capensis "Red" and D capensis 'Alba'.
It can only be propagated by asexual methods and retain its identity.
Plants grown from 'Big Pink' seeds will have a variety of appearances.
They are not 'Big Pink'.

Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' has a Pink-ish/Purple-ish flower.
Your plant has a White flower.

If a plant is misidentified and its offspring or seeds get circulated, it causes confusion down the road.

Good growing,
Mike
Very interesting, I was not aware of this. I bought seeds from a user on Reddit who was simply selling them as being from ‘Big Pink’.
So, what are the identity of these? Just typical Capensis? I was planning on trying to sell some/give some away locally and I wouldn’t want to do that with them misidentified.

By Shadowtski
Very interesting, I was not aware of this. I bought seeds from a user on Reddit who was simply selling them as being from ‘Big Pink’.
So, what are the identity of these? Just typical Capensis? I was planning on trying to sell some/give some away locally and I wouldn’t want to do that with them misidentified.
The original seeds would be Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self.
That would also be the correct tag ID on those plants.

Now if your plant from those seeds produces seeds, those should be labeled, (Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self) X Self.
There may be a different botanically correct way of writing this.
I'm not a botanist.
But this is probably close enough.
CarnivoresUnite liked this
By f1appyb1rd
Shadowtski wrote:
The original seeds would be Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self.
That would also be the correct tag ID on those plants.

Now if your plant from those seeds produces seeds, those should be labeled, (Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' X Self) X Self.
There may be a different botanically correct way of writing this.
I'm not a botanist.
But this is probably close enough.
Actually, I just found the listing from September 2019 and they were labeled for sale as ‘Big Pink’ X Self. I understand what you mean now. Thank you for the clarification.

By f1appyb1rd
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Did you plant them in pure peat?
The 2.5” pots contain peat and sand mix. Probably could have used some more sand in the mix, though.

By CarnivoresUnite
So.. from what I have learned thus far.. please feel free to correct if any incorrect information is given, but..

If you raise seeds of 'Big Pink x self' Capensis, it should generate a relatively even mixture of:

Big Pink, Red, and Albino in physical appearance, but also carry the "Big Pink" genes in general. I haven't yet raised my oldest Capes sprouted from seed with a similar mixture (Albino Big Pink) quite yet to seeding stage quite yet, but hoping this may be the case to allow a diversity in one batch of seeds.
By Shadowtski
CarnivoresUnite wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 pm So.. from what I have learned thus far.. please feel free to correct if any incorrect information is given, but..

If you raise seeds of 'Big Pink x self' Capensis, it should generate a relatively even mixture of:

Big Pink, Red, and Albino in physical appearance, but also carry the "Big Pink" genes in general. I haven't yet raised my oldest Capes sprouted from seed with a similar mixture (Albino Big Pink) quite yet to seeding stage quite yet, but hoping this may be the case to allow a diversity in one batch of seeds.
David Flocken has done quite a bit of work crossing various D. capensis types and cultivars.
He gave a ratio of what to expect from Selfing a 'Big Pink'.
I forget the numbers, but he posted it either here or on FB.
By Benny
So cool how in 6 months those plants can go from seedling to seeding!
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!