FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Johns Flytraps
Hey guys. I am new to the forum and have had this B52 Cultivar from Joel’s Carnivorous Plants for 4 days. I have had this trap in full sun today (outside but it is supposed to rain where I’m at so I put it inside) and previously in a north-western facing window with good sun. I am worried that because I did not acclimate it enough that it might be burned (I was told to put it outside though) as well as other comments that it doesn’t look as healthy as it should. Does there seem to be anything wrong with it? If so, what steps should I take (specifically)?
Attachments:
C15BDA5E-ACA0-43C1-AA3E-B0354D34D311.jpeg
C15BDA5E-ACA0-43C1-AA3E-B0354D34D311.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 3318 times
By Johns Flytraps
By what intervals?
By sanguinearocks101
I'd start by increasing it by 5 minutes a day and when you are putting them out for 80-100 minutes you can increase the time you increase each day up to 10 minutes. Once you get to 3 hours you can increase the time by 15 minutes a day.
Johns Flytraps, Benny, Matt liked this
By Johns Flytraps
So when not leaving them outside in full sun, then by putting them by a southern facing window?
By Matt
Johns Flytraps wrote:So when not leaving them outside in full sun, then by putting them by a southern facing window?
That would be OK, but putting it in dappled sunlight the rest of the day would be better.

Looking at your flytrap, it looks like it wouldn't be at risk of sunburn to me. It looks quite well hardened off already. I've visited Joel's grow set up in North Carolina and he grows most of his plants outdoors, so if you got an outdoor grown one from him (which looks to be the case) it shouldn't need any hardening off period and can immediately be placed outdoors in full sun.

It would help if you filled out your profile information to include your location, as the particular weather for where you live makes a big difference in terms of what you should be doing with the plant this time of the year.

Also, it appears that the flytrap isn't optimally potted. The rhizome should be a little better covered around the base where the white bulb turns to green leaves. Another quarter inch or so of coverage of the long fiber sphagnum above the bulb would be better for the plant.
Johns Flytraps liked this
By Johns Flytraps
Thanks so much, Matt! This information is just what I needed. I’ll use the extra moss I saved for covering the rhizome. In fact, I’ve been thinking about getting a better pot from flytrapstore for more room.
Matt liked this
By Curious Ivy
Hi, I have a few questions concerning my plant. I bought her exactly a year ago. She was glorious until November/December when winter came. I kept her inside at around 20 degrees and under a lamp, watering her, but she kept losing her "traps", as she fell into her winter dream. Which I read it was normal. BUT. The Spring is here for a month and she's not waken up yet. She has new "traps" growing but very slowely and they are so little. Also, I've noticed a week ago that the soil she's into has some little white bugs! I've read here it's probably aphids, so I've put her into water for a couple of days and it seems they are gone - for now. My question here is - are they the reason she's growing so slowly? Can I do something to "wake her up"? And the most important - is she healthy? :roll: :?:
Attachments:
94523496_2365160900451408_7845066127615983616_n.jpg
94523496_2365160900451408_7845066127615983616_n.jpg (400.2 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
By Matt
Johns Flytraps wrote:Thanks so much, Matt! This information is just what I needed. I’ll use the extra moss I saved for covering the rhizome.
That sounds like a great plan!

Johns Flytraps wrote:In fact, I’ve been thinking about getting a better pot from flytrapstore for more room.
Either the 5x5 white pots or the newly added "self-watering" pots would be a significant upgrade from the net pot that Joel provides...at least in my opinion :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!