FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By cpZack
Recently I have run out of my windowsill (as I’m sure many of you have as well being trapped at home). I currently use a cheap T8 shoplight fixture equipped with 2 ‘daylight bulbs’ in conjunction with the natural light my plants get from the northeastern exposure: pics are included. In case you were wondering about the baggies, I acclimate most of my nepenthes to the lower humidity in the room, and most of the propagations stay in bags.

I have some more nepenthes on the way, and was planning on using an identical fixture and setting up a grow rack further into the room (5-6 feet) but was cautioned by another grower that these bulbs wouldn’t be powerful enough! This was a disappointment to me as I had another identical fixture around that I used previously for starting seeds. I thought it would be the perfect spot, my fan circulates air right above where the plants would be growing, and it gets hit with a bit of morning sun as well (not nearly as much as the windowsill). I’m trying to save some money right now and knew I needed to locate a rack, but was not prepared for learning that my lighting would be sub par!

I want the best for my plants and wanted to know what others experiences with t8s have been. I’ve found them to be very cool lights as well, and they don’t produce much heat. Any experience or advice in the world of fluorescents is greatly appreciated, and happy growing!

ImageImage

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Matt
I'm not clear what your question is exactly, but we use T8 bulbs for hardening off our flytraps as they come out of tissue culture and that works great for them for a couple of months until they are ready for real sun in the greenhouses.

I would think that Nepenthes would do great under the T8s too, but it has been many years since I've grown them. I do recall I grew them under T8s or T12s and they did really well. The same is true for Heliamphora.
By cpZack
Matt wrote:I'm not clear what your question is exactly, but we use T8 bulbs for hardening off our flytraps as they come out of tissue culture and that works great for them for a couple of months until they are ready for real sun in the greenhouses.

I would think that Nepenthes would do great under the T8s too, but it has been many years since I've grown them. I do recall I grew them under T8s or T12s and they did really well. The same is true for Heliamphora.
Thanks Matt! To clarify, I was just searching to see if anyone had use T8 bulbs and had good experiences with them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!