FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By KieranM119
Hello there all, I've started growing my Venus Fly Trap a few months ago and he's doing pretty alright ( "he" i named him Marty) i know he needs more light so I'm already in the process of getting an indoor greenhouse and getting that set up.

I've also gotten some peat moss and silica sand for when he flowers because I'm going to try and cultivate him (fingers crossed!).

I'm adding a photo incase anyone is curious 😊
Attachments:
IMG_20200401_034655_hdr.jpg
IMG_20200401_034655_hdr.jpg (537.88 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
By camsdad66
Nice looking flytrap! Good luck with "him"!
And yes, the more light you can give him, the better!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By Matt
Welcome to FlytrapCare! Marty looks to be healthy and happy right now. I always try to discourage growing Venus flytraps indoors. I'm not familiar with "indoor greenhouses" but I can't see any application in which they would be beneficial for Venus flytraps. Venus flytraps do best outdoors in full sun. All indoor growing should be temporary, as problems will ALWAYS arise when growing indoors and it usually doesn't take more than a few months to a year to have serious issues.
By KieranM119
Hi Matt,

What kind of problems come out of indoor growing?
By Matt
Any problems that are seen growing carnivorous plants in general happen much more frequently when growing indoors. Algae, mold, crown rot, pests and other nasties with such frequency that it is hard to keep plants healthy in the long term.

Lack of sufficient light is another issue. Even with a very nice artificial lighting system, the carnivorous plants that prefer lots of sunlight (like flytraps) are never as healthy as they would be with natural sunlight. The fact that they are weaker than they would be if grown outdoors also means that they are more susceptible to whatever pest or disease takes hold.

Simplify things and just grow outdoors! Flytraps are super easy to grow outdoors -- not so much indoors.

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!