FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By KDH
I'm confused by the rhizomes. What are they supposed to look like? What do they look like when they are ready to divide? I have a VFT that I think is ready to divide, but I don't know what to look for and I repotted it a few weeks ago.
Attachments:
IMG_20200415_195647.jpg
IMG_20200415_195647.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 3440 times
By Copper2
First off not sure why people call them rhizomes but flytraps have something more akin to a bulb. You’ll notice the new leaves are emerging from different areas on your plant - each growth point is a separate bulb that can be separated
By Matt
The rhizome or bulb of a flytrap can't be seen from above ground. However, the number of growth points is a good indicator of how many rhizomes there are beneath the surface.

In your photo, it would appear that there are at least 3 points from which new traps are emerging. So if you were to repot, and you probably should, you would have at least 3 separate plants, each with their own rhizomes, in that pot.
By steve booth
That plant has already divided, each growth point is in effect a new plant.
The plants roots grow from an underground stem or rhizome which have buds along their length for encouraging new plants. the rhizome is white with the roots hanging from that.
When you dig one up to divide they generally break at the rhizome, naturally forming new individual lants.
Cheers
Steve
By KDH
What would happen if I don't separate them?
By Benny
If the pot becomes too crowded and they start starving each other of light, then you will need a re-pot. The roots could also be one too bundled up and overcrowded and stunt growth. Your plant isn't near any of these yet though, so don't worry about it.
By KDH
I already repotted that plant about a month ago. Like I said, I don't understand the rhizome or I would have separated it then. Should I wait to repot or is it ok to do it again so soon? If I should wait, how long should I wait?
By Matt
I thought it looked fairly freshly potted. Given that, I'd say just wait until next year. It is growing well now so no need to disturb it again.

Next year when you repot, simply pull apart all of the rhizomes. Anywhere you see traps emerging from is technically a separate plant. Sometimes it requires a gentle tug to get them to separate but often times, if you just rinse them in a bowl of water, they will naturally separate from each other.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!