FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Hello! I wanted to know is there any info on the affects of maxsea and if it helps at all with CPs? Has anyone tried with a control where one plant received maxsea and the other didn’t? How was it?
crazy_carnivores liked this
By Matt
If you search "Maxsea" on these forums, you will find many old posts about using it:
search.php?keywords=maxsea&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

I bought some but never really used it much. I switched to other products I prefer more.
Adrien liked this
By Matt
Adrien wrote:What products do you use?
Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-DYFOL00 ... B003SUT6VS

Also use their Protekt:
https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-DYTEK03 ... B000E1VZHC

For flytraps, I combine it at the ratio suggested on the bottle, which I think is 1 part Protekt to 4 parts Dyna-gro, until I get around 100ppm in distilled water. If I recall correctly, that is about 12 drops Dyna-Gro and 3 drops Protekt per gallon of distilled water. I use it lightly in the spring (about now) through early summer about once every 2 weeks or so when watering.
Adrien, Coco, altemar liked this
By twitcher
Brad's Green House has a youtube showing how he does it. I use it myself, but only once a month on larger plants (pings, sundews and nepenthes)....Recommend you start off with less than recommended concentration and spray very lightly. I killed some younger plants starting off with it using the recommended concentrations (not from the container, but from cp users). Easy does it.
By Coco
twitcher wrote:Brad's Green House has a youtube showing how he does it. I use it myself, but only once a month on larger plants (pings, sundews and nepenthes)....Recommend you start off with less than recommended concentration and spray very lightly. I killed some younger plants starting off with it using the recommended concentrations (not from the container, but from cp users). Easy does it.
Very interesting. I use the recommended dosage where I spray it once a week now for several months without any adverse effects on the health of the plant big or small. But it could be because I thoroughly flush out the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
I've tried it and can say that, for me, it works well on plants like Mexican Pings, temperate Drosera, Sarracenia seedlings, a couple of Heliamphora I've tried it on, Utriculia longifoila and D. regia, but not so well on others, like any Nep I've tried it on, Darlingtonia and Cephs. No question it really helps on the ones I mentioned, the difference between a Ping (for instance) that gets treated twice a week and one that fends for itself is fairly dramatic and some of the others are even more noticeable. Ah, but is it any better then any other quality foliar feeder? I'd have to say no, not really, at least as far as I can tell.
Coco liked this
By StaatS+17+
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I've tried it and can say that, for me, it works well on plants like Mexican Pings, temperate Drosera, Sarracenia seedlings, a couple of Heliamphora I've tried it on, Utriculia longifoila and D. regia, but not so well on others, like any Nep I've tried it on, Darlingtonia and Cephs. No question it really helps on the ones I mentioned, the difference between a Ping (for instance) that gets treated twice a week and one that fends for itself is fairly dramatic and some of the others are even more noticeable. Ah, but is it any better then any other quality foliar feeder? I'd have to say no, not really, at least as far as I can tell.
Hi Huntsmanshorn, what dosage of maxsea do you use for temperate Drosera and Sarracenia seedlings? Thank you for your feedback!
By Huntsmanshorn
StaatS+17+ wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:36 am Hi Huntsmanshorn, what dosage of maxsea do you use for temperate Drosera and Sarracenia seedlings? Thank you for your feedback!
1/2 teaspoon per gallon of distilled water.
Coco liked this
By twitcher
I have a suggestion:

When discussing strength of Maxsea, how about giving the TDS of the solution you are spraying with. That assumes your starting water TDS is zero. If your starting TDS is not zero, note that as well. That way we can independently judge the strength of the solution, above and beyond any measurement approximations. For example if you are using 0 TDS water to get a TDS of 10 for the maxsea you are spraying, then everybody knows the exact amount of Maxsea being given.

Thanks
Coco liked this
By Coco
A follow up on Twitcher’s great suggestion:

I tested the diluted maxsea that I’m currently using where it read 254 PPM. The water that was used had an initial reading of 3 PPM.

Since I use the water tray system for some of my drosera, I tested the pool of water that it was sitting in, which read 17 PPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By twitcher
The maxsea I am currently using has a TDS of 23 from water TDS 0. I reduced the concentration from the previous level I was using when I had problems with my seedlings. I don't remember its exact level but it was at least twice what I currently have.

Thanks for the kind words ,coco

Let's see what other people are using, now that we have a good way of measuring.
Coco liked this
By Adrien
So if I get a TDS reading of under 60 With the maxsea could I just water the plants with it? Can VFT absorb nutrients from the roots?
By twitcher
Don't water with it. Generally, just spray the leaves and avoid spraying the media. Even if it doesn't hurt the roots, it will encourage algae and moss if you spray the media. Conventional wisdom is that if you fertilize the roots, you can damage or kill the plants
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!