FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Durrendal
Hi.

What is this Sundew? It has pink flowers and seeds prolifically.

By Matt
I'm far from a Drosera expert, but that looks like one of the more commonly sold Drosera that is mass-produced by Agristarts 3 in Florida: Drosera spatulata 'Fraser Island'

Edit: It would appear that Drosera spatulata has white flowers, so your plant might be Drosera tokaiensis, which is a hybrid between D. spatulata and D. rotundifolia.

Where did you source the plant?
By Durrendal
From a local seller. Carnivores aren't popular in our country so we don't have reputed sources. The seller himself told me it was Spatulata but I'm also leaning on Tokaiensis because this guy never turns red despite full tropical sun of 50K-70k lux whole day
By hungry carnivores
That is DEFINITELY a tokaiensis, seems the most common species that you could get of all the plants that look like that. Tokaiensis is actually supposed to be called D. X Tokaiensis, since it is the natural hybrid between D. Spatulata and D. Rotundifolia. When I bought my plants, I bought them as D. Spatulata 'Kansai', so that is what the seller might have thought.

It could also be D. Spatulata Var. Spatulata, and that looks quite similar, is it that the tentacles are not red because you do not have enough light?
By Copper2
There are pink flowered spatulata. tokaiensis is known as Tolkien’s Sundew by the way. Useful to know if you’re unfamiliar with scientific names
By Adelae
How does one go about telling apart all the spatulata-like sundews? The ones I have labeled tokaiensis have very pink flowers, but the tentacles turn quite a bit redder than that in bright light so I'm glancing at them suspiciously after reading this thread...
By Darlingtoniafan222
Durrendal wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:16 am Hi.

What is this Sundew? It has pink flowers and seeds prolifically.

I think its spatulata. Looks pretty close to the ones I see in facebook, but if it has pink flowers that may be traits of tokaiensis. Check ICPS, they usually know.

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!