FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
I found a (kind of) local nursery that carries neps. They had large ones with flowers and small ones without. I did some research on them, so I know the basic care, but I couldn't find anything on their flowering. Does it affect their growth, and possibly kill them like a venus flytrap? I am going to buy one soon, so I need to know which one I should get.

Thanks,

Ben
By Benny
I'm not really interested in pollinating them for seed, just wanted to know if it will start losing energy when I but it. So I guess I'll get the big one! Thanks sanguinearock101!
By Benny
The ones that flowered cost 25$. Pretty expensive but yeah they are quite large. Not quite sure what species or hybrid(as I forgot to look at the pitcher design), but I'm guessing it was a ventrata. I'm willing to pay this much because I really want to support my local nurseries in these times of little business, and keep them open. They also take great care of them as they were in a greenhouse and received adaquit light. Their VFTs were under artificial lights with glass panels to ward off any poking fingers, but not fully enclosed. I think the neps have been there a while, and grew to a nice size. They seem to care about their plants health, even if they take different care than the others. I want to motivate them to put out more CPs by buying off them as well.

But anyway, Nepenthes are really cool plants, and are not too hard to care for(as I learned). I think they may end up being my favorite CP (that is, if I can keep them alive).
By sanguinearocks101
Benny wrote:The ones that flowered cost 25$. Pretty expensive but yeah they are quite large. Not quite sure what species or hybrid(as I forgot to look at the pitcher design), but I'm guessing it was a ventrata. I'm willing to pay this much because I really want to support my local nurseries in these times of little business, and keep them open. They also take great care of them as they were in a greenhouse and received adaquit light. Their VFTs were under artificial lights with glass panels to ward off any poking fingers, but not fully enclosed. I think the neps have been there a while, and grew to a nice size. They seem to care about their plants health, even if they take different care than the others. I want to motivate them to put out more CPs by buying off them as well.

But anyway, Nepenthes are really cool plants, and are not too hard to care for(as I learned). I think they may end up being my favorite CP (that is, if I can keep them alive).
$25!!!! That is an amazing price! I would think it would be at least $35 probably more! Neps are the best. They are very easy to take care of, I leave my Sanguinea and Alata in a sunny room, water them when the top looks dry, and they do great! I sometimes even forget to water them for a week and a half and the only thing that happens is that the forming leaf turns out droopy.
By Benny
Well, I guess that solves it; big one it is! :lol:
By Benny
Just got my plant. They were out of the large ones, so I got the small(er) one. There were actually 2 plants, and it cost 20$. Still seems pretty fair. It is a ventrata, which I was hoping for as they are easier to keep. I've put it on an east facing window. How that gives it enough light. I had to repot it as the plant was in very compacted soaking wet peat. I will never complain about the difficulty repotting venus flytraps. Such a big tangle of roots! But it all ended up OK. Sorry about the lighting in the pics.
Attachments:
Largest pitcher I could find.
Largest pitcher I could find.
IMG_20200406_170437.jpg (392.62 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
IMG_20200406_170441.jpg
IMG_20200406_170441.jpg (462.99 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
By Benny
Yup. We will see if I can keep them alive. Do you think an East facing window is sufficient? It gets direct sun in the morning and bright indirect the rest of the day.
By Benny
I have a couple more questions while I am slightly on topic:

What is your best guess as to when the plants will mature?

I am interested in doing stem cuttings but was wondering how long it would take them to reach maturity as well.
By Copper2
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm That will be good for light. Without a doubt you will be able to keep it alive. The only things that can kill a ventrata are pests, extreme temperatures, and a lack of water(soil drying out for a few days in a row).
Also known as what kills any other plant
By sanguinearocks101
I am not an expert on this topic but I can give it a guess. I think it will be vining by 1-2 years and flowering from 3-4 years from now. I don't know how long it would take stem cuttings to mature but I would wait a while until its vine gets a couple feet long and you can get a lot more cuttings from it.
Benny liked this
By Benny
*sigh* Well, my true weakness is patience. I guess I will have wait a while :cry: .

But thanks for letting me know!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!