FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By mcgrumpers
I can't tell you how much I hate carpet moss and algae growing on the soil surface. Most of my plants are top dressed with either silica sand or live sphagnum to avoid this.

This may be a silly question, but could top dressing a VFT with silica sand cause any issues? I'm thinking about adding a layer 0.5-1cm thick of silica sand with a coarseness of 12. For instance, could it prevent small traps or divisions from properly surfacing?
By Fly Trap Hunter
in nature they can grow almost completely in sand with a dab of peat. i have read on here that the traps get bigger growing in pure sand.
only thing i wonder if the sand heats up in the summer? that could be a issue.
By Benny
I it is also much harder to keep it wet in the summer if it is mostly sand. But a top dressing is perfectly fine.
By idwaneo
Don’t know about long term in only silica sand as ph its neutral or around 7. And they like acidic one 3-4 to thrive. I do use a mix of peat moss, perlite and silica sand with top dressing of live sphagnum, i believe that sphagnum in long term helps to add acidity to soil through top watering
By Big-Jack
I use white silica sand as a top dressing and it works great.

Advantages: Less evaporation, Less packing down of media from rainfall, Reflects sunlight to underside of plant for better growth, media absorbs less heat from the sun. prevents moss, algae, and soil pests. The contrast between the white sand and green/red plant is nicer to look at IMHO.

Disadvantages: hard to tell when it needs watering. I go by weight and in summer sun and heat just leave it in a bowl of water. Some sand may splash out in heavy rainfall if it filled close to the rim.

The divisions have no problem popping through the sand.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!