FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
Hey, free plants! What species is the random sundew that popped up?
By Benny
Ah. Couldn't quite tell because of the angle :? (even if the angle was good, I wouldn't have been able to tell). :lol:
By Fly Trap Hunter
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm I would think it's an intermedia because of the looks and it can survive winter by forming a hibernacula.
I'm going to agree that its d. intermedia.
although it resembles d. spatulata Emeralds Envy in color.
but its hard to tell at that angle.
and nobody really ask me anyway. lol
score. I love pot hoppers and free plants.
By Joeynator3000
If you guys want I can try and take another pic of it, it's getting slightly bigger.

Anyways, my sundew is flowering. lol

Not sure if I should wait till the whole stalk is done or after a few flowers do their thing...but yeah.
By Joeynator3000
-Plant Updates-
So I eventually tried leaving my flytrap outside in my current location, it's been about a month and...yeah it's not working out. Red Dragon's new leaves are completely green, new traps are wilting/deforming very quickly. I was planning on just leaving it but I can't just watch the flytrap die, I'm bringing it back inside under the grow light.

My American Pitcher, we'll see what happens, it's fairly new maybe it'll handle the location better...?

My Butterwort seems to be okay, I can't tell if the heat is killing it or not. (the small sundew with my flytrap couldn't handle it and was also dying) Hopefully it'll be fine.

Annnnnnd of course, my main Cape Sundew is doing perfectly under the grow light, getting plenty of food. lol
By Matt
Joeynator3000 wrote:So I eventually tried leaving my flytrap outside in my current location, it's been about a month and...yeah it's not working out. Red Dragon's new leaves are completely green, new traps are wilting/deforming very quickly. I was planning on just leaving it but I can't just watch the flytrap die, I'm bringing it back inside under the grow light.
Sorry to hear that your flytrap isn't doing so well. Can you share photos so maybe I can help? I've never known a red flytrap to turn green outdoors in full sun, nor the leaves to wilt or deform unless it got dehydrated.
By Joeynator3000
Matt wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:43 am
Joeynator3000 wrote:So I eventually tried leaving my flytrap outside in my current location, it's been about a month and...yeah it's not working out. Red Dragon's new leaves are completely green, new traps are wilting/deforming very quickly. I was planning on just leaving it but I can't just watch the flytrap die, I'm bringing it back inside under the grow light.
Sorry to hear that your flytrap isn't doing so well. Can you share photos so maybe I can help? I've never known a red flytrap to turn green outdoors in full sun, nor the leaves to wilt or deform unless it got dehydrated.
Again, I live in an apartment, I can't give them full sun outside, it's nearly impossible in my location. That's what I've been saying in the past. :c
By Apollyon
He was saying earlier that he had a grow setup. I also live in Florida and I've had friends have rough goes with Capensis outside in our summer (It's brutually hot and humid). I was growing VFTs inside under T5s and they were growing pretty well (even gave color from the light intensity). My problem I had was with the moisture being trapped, it began to rot. Algae is also the enemy inside as the surface doesn't evaporate nearly the same indoors. I ended up keeping them outside in the long run but I still believe they can be grown indoors fine as long as decent care is given to them. I wouldn't let them sit in pure LFS indoors again with tray water (that's just me). I'd still probably put it outside late fall to try to trigger its dormancy though. My buddy keeps his outside and they can still hit dormancy in florida temps. (80 degree Christmases lolol)
By Joeynator3000
I dunno, it seemed like the water barely evaporated when outside....when I have them inside under the light the water evaporated normally. Now that I took another look, it seems like the flytraps soil dried out as well, despite having a full tray of water the entire time. Maybe I should just keep all of them inside until Sept/Oct...I don't want to lose them.

My cape sundew is staying inside no matter what, it's my favorite and I don't wanna lose it. Now I know that the heat can kill it thanks to the smaller one living in the flytrap's pot. Thankfully that one is still alive, after getting it inside it started producing some dew again a couple of days later.

EDIT: My Butterwort seems to be fine, it's still capturing bugs here and there and the leaves look okay. Too early to tell with my American Pitcher, hard to even tell if it's catching anything. I did see a common fly hanging out on one of the leaves though (even though the plant was too small for it, lol) so I'm guessing that it's getting food. xD

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!