FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By Connjiff
Hello again I live in a town called Las Cruces New Mexico(Zone 8a)and as its getting to be summertime I thought it would be the perfect time to start maybe a DIY bog garden or terrarium etc... outdoors for some temperate carnivorous plants such as venus flytraps, sarracenia, etc... The only problem is it can get dry, hot and very windy (similar to phoenix but windier). So I was wondering what way would be the best to grow my plants outside and if there is a specific place around the house I should put them etc... Thank You
By f1appyb1rd
I would say that a bog garden would be your best option outdoors. I grew a couple vft and Sarracenia outdoors on my roof in full sun last summer (I live in zone 7b) using the tray method and they grew ok as long as I kept them moist and didn’t let them dry out and bake in the sun. I can imagine a bog garden kept sufficiently moist would a be good way to grow vft, Sarracenia, and drosera in your climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By f1appyb1rd
Connjiff wrote:wow thank you! what would you do about wind
You could position it somewhere where it blocks the wind? The wind blowing over the bog garden will probably dry out the media faster but unless it’s like hurricane force wind I don’t think it will negatively affect the cp’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Connjiff
okay thank you so much! a bog garden seems the way to go but do you think that tiny greenhouse would work at all or no that would just be the easiest option for me but if that wouldnt work I definetly can go with the bog garden whatever is best for my CP's
By sanguinearocks101
The greenhouse you pictured will probably work as long as it is protected from wind and any damage that occurs is quickly repaired. I think Harbor Freight also has some good greenhouses for good prices. The greenhouse would probably need a door open on it so the heat can escape. It up to you what you want, if you want something that looks nice on your lawn go with the bog garden, if you want a little more control over the condition of your plants go with the greenhouse.
By Connjiff
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm The greenhouse you pictured will probably work as long as it is protected from wind and any damage that occurs is quickly repaired. I think Harbor Freight also has some good greenhouses for good prices. The greenhouse would probably need a door open on it so the heat can escape. It up to you what you want, if you want something that looks nice on your lawn go with the bog garden, if you want a little more control over the condition of your plants go with the greenhouse.
Thank you so much for your help. I heard somewhere that a cold frame might work better for the hotter climate I live do you think that would be a better option.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!