FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
Hello, I am making a bog garden and I wanted your opinion on it. I currently have 2 Sarracenia x readii, and a Sarracenia flava var cuprea in it. I am planning to put in a Drosera Rotundifolia, Meadowview Biological Research Station, Caroline Co, VA , a Drosera Intermedia, North Carolina , a Drosera Capillaris, Citronelle, AL , a Drosera Tracyi, Florida , and a Drosera Filiformis, Florida "Florida Red". I live in zone 6b and I plan to leave them outside during the summer and bring them inside once they all go dormant. Do you think a Sarracenia psitticina "Okaloosa, FL" would do good despite it not being very wet in the bog garden?
By Artemisia
I think it depends on how aclamated the plant is to the amount of water it is currently. I know that aquatic plants that were grown above ground, will loss a lot of it leaves once it is submerged. The new growths are more adaptable to the water.
I don't know if this helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Yes, a psitt would do well in a bog garden.

I live in zone 6b also and grow my sarrs outside year round. Just cover them with some pine needles in the winter and they'll be fine. The problem I've noticed with bringing them indoor each year is that they never get a true dormancy and it really throws off their flowering schedule. Once, when I took my sarrs inside for the winter, I had a purp flower in late fall!

Bog gardens are really cool. Good luck!
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:53 pm Yes, a psitt would do well in a bog garden.

I live in zone 6b also and grow my sarrs outside year round. Just cover them with some pine needles in the winter and they'll be fine. The problem I've noticed with bringing them indoor each year is that they never get a true dormancy and it really throws off their flowering schedule. Once, when I took my sarrs inside for the winter, I had a purp flower in late fall!

Bog gardens are really cool. Good luck!
Do you think I could do that with my bog garden? Would the drosera be good with that? I heard capillaris doesn’t form a hibernacula during the winter. Would the pine needles hurt the capillaris? How many inches of pine needles would I need to put on? There are pine trees on my property(which sadly invite common black grackles that seem to enjoy pooping on pools) . Could I use those pine needles or where would I buy them?
By Nepenthes0260
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Do you think I could do that with my bog garden? Would the drosera be good with that? I heard capillaris doesn’t form a hibernacula during the winter. Would the pine needles hurt the capillaris? How many inches of pine needles would I need to put on? There are pine trees on my property(which sadly invite common black grackles that seem to enjoy pooping on pools) . Could I use those pine needles or where would I buy them?
It's not how many inches of pine needles, it's how many feet :shock:. I put mine under 3 feet of pine needles this winter and the drosera hibernaculata (rotundifolia and anglica temperate) did fine. The pots did not freeze once. I just used the pine needles from my own pine trees in my yard. I think the capillaris would be fine, too.
Matt liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Oh- also, this method of dormancy worked for all my flytraps, including Angel Wings, SD Kronos, DC XL, and Fused Tooth.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!