FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sag508
Good Afternoon all,

I done messed up. Growing up, my father had an interest in carnivorous plants. He took pride in his Venus fly trap pot of 3 plants. It suffered greatly before and after his death due to the obvious neglect. After he died, I took the venus fly trap pot he always had, and last year got it to full health! It was so healthy it was the first time I ever saw the traps turn red!

It was quite obvious the plants split, so about two weeks ago I decided it was a good time to split and repot before it came out of dormancy. I watched YouTube videos on how to plant, the soil to sand ratio, etc. Where I screwed up? Thinking the Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss was unfertilized. :oops:

Over the past few days, I noticed the plants were not doing all that well and today was my day of utter shock when I realized my mistake. I followed along with other posts here, by removing the plant, removing and washing as much as the soil off as possible. They are now soaking in distilled water, which I normally keep in the house strictly for the plant. Thankfully I found one jug left in the store today, with all of the craziness going on.

I ordered the Premium New Zealand Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss from this site just now, however, I don't expect it arriving until Tuesday, the earliest.

Examining the Rhizome along with the traps, the plants look in OK shape. The Rhizomes are firm and the root system on most of the plants are full. 2 may be iffy, at best.

So, I am turning to the experts:
1) I have the roots AND Rhizome soaking in about an inch of the distilled water. Too much? Too little? Should the traps be exposed to air or also soaking as well?

2) I have enough Distilled water to make it until next week. Should I keep them soaking or should I transfer them to the paper towel method? When is soaking long enough?

3) since the plants are obviously not healthy now, is there such thing as too big or too small of a pot? I had three of the plants in small, 2" pots, since I planned on giving the best took plants to my sister. Should I rethink that plan and keep the plants in the Venus Fly Trap equivalent of ICU?

3) Any other advice you can provide?
By sanguinearocks101
I would let the traps have air, only have the rhizome and roots soaking. I think they would be fine in a damp paper towel for a while if they have been soaking for a few days. Bigger pots are usually better, a good sized pot is no more than 4 inches deep. I would wait a while before you give any to your sister.
By sag508
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I figured as much.

I only started soaking today, probably on hour 2 of the soaking. How long should I keep them soaking?
By Matt
I'd suggest simply rinsing the plants in distilled water a couple of times then wrapping them in damp paper towels and sticking them in a plastic baggie and putting them in the fridge.

Then wait until the moss arrives (I'll ship it ASAP) and pot them up in the new moss, which is free of fertilizer. Use a pot that is at least 4 inches deep. They will recover just fine! Once they start to show new, healthy growth, then consider giving one to your sister.

Matt
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!