FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By cpZack
While perusing the discount plant rack at lowes, I was lucky enough to come across some clearance CPs. Mostly flytraps and ventricosas in death cubes, but extremely salvageable plants. I ended up scoring 6 boxes of Dionea, and 2 Nepenthes Ventricosas for about $12! I stripped all the rot of the flytraps, leaving some spindly plants and got to repotting everything.

To my horror, the ventricosas were potted in mostly coco choir! This led me to repot my other death cube ventricosa, to find the same cheap coco choir, into a fresh 50:50 LFS and Perlite mix. The death cube neps went straight to an acclimation bag, while the one I had acclimated to room humidity will not. I have an ultrasonic humidifier not too far, to keep everything nice and moist XD. I attached picks of the big guy as well, he seems to really be liking the conditions, and has had some huge leaf jumps.

Make sure you are all checking your discount racks periodically, you just might find some more of these terrific finds, full of great growing potential :)
Attachments:
IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5937.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMG_8421.JPG
IMG_8421.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMG_9886.JPG
IMG_9886.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMG_8883.JPG
IMG_8883.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3721 times
IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3721 times
By Joeynator3000
...Why do these stores pack them like this anyways? I mean, every other plant is getting fresh air....But the carnivorous plants have to suffocate or something? lol

I don't think with my current location I can grow venus flytraps (sadly, I'm gonna try and keep my current one going for a while), but one Lowes I went to had tons of VFTs. Wished I could grab some, but I don't know if I'll be able to recover them. We'll see how my red dragon handles my grow light.

I tried putting it outside last weekend and it's just not going to get much light where I live. Then I remembered the sprinkler system and got it inside before it started...

Anyways yeah, really wished stores would stop packing the plants like this, they're basically treating them like toys.
By cpZack
Joeynator3000 wrote:...Why do these stores pack them like this anyways? I mean, every other plant is getting fresh air....But the carnivorous plants have to suffocate or something? lol

I don't think with my current location I can grow venus flytraps (sadly, I'm gonna try and keep my current one going for a while), but one Lowes I went to had tons of VFTs. Wished I could grab some, but I don't know if I'll be able to recover them. We'll see how my red dragon handles my grow light.

I tried putting it outside last weekend and it's just not going to get much light where I live. Then I remembered the sprinkler system and got it inside before it started...

Anyways yeah, really wished stores would stop packing the plants like this, they're basically treating them like toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By cpZack
I was a bit nervous about getting the flytraps as well, I had amazing luck growing them when I was younger and had access to the outdoors! Unfortunately now I’m in an appartement. I have them on a northeastern windowsill right now, just a couple inches under a grow light, so hopefully they do ok!

By cpZack
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Wow! Lucky You! Even the plants that are not discounted at my local stores are pretty much dead already. :(
It’s really sad! I work at a local nursery, and I’m pushing for them to order in some cps. The flytraps and Sarracenia would do amazingly out in trays of water, next to our full sun perennials!

By Matt
Joeynator3000 wrote:...Why do these stores pack them like this anyways? I mean, every other plant is getting fresh air....But the carnivorous plants have to suffocate or something? lol
I think the reason they are packaged like that is primarily to keep them from drying out in transit or when sitting on the shelf. If most carnivorous plants dry out entirely, they will die. It also probably helps prevent prying fingers from poking at the plants all day long!
By cpZack
Here’s an update! Already coloring up under the lights, with the window open, and enjoying the cool afternoon breeze.

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!