FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Lyra
Hello everyone,

So, I have some large crystal bowls (to those that don't know, they are made up with 24% Lead) that are just sitting around. I am think about using it as a pot. But, will the lead in the crystal cause any problems to a CP or even a plant in general. I think it's a bad idea, but I want to see what you guys think, or if any of you have tried planing plant on crystal before?

Thanks and happy growing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
I dont know about the lead in the crystal, but the bowls won't have the proper drainage anyways. Flytraps like it slightly damp, not a totally saturated soupy mess. If kept constantly in over saturated conditions, it'd get root rot and literally rot away in the watery mess. I just use the basic flower pots from Lowe's for my flytraps with those cheap plastic pot liners. That works fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Lyra
Artchic528 wrote:I dont know about the lead in the crystal, but the bowls won't have the proper drainage anyways. Flytraps like it slightly damp, not a totally saturated soupy mess. If kept constantly in over saturated conditions, it'd get root rot and literally rot away in the watery mess. I just use the basic flower pots from Lowe's for my flytraps with those cheap plastic pot liners. That works fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Oh, that's not a problem, I have a drill that can cut the glass. I use it alot to repurpose glass bottles. But, thank you for your concern.

By Shadowtski
Do you have a TDS meter? Put some distilled water in the freshly cleaned bowl and you should get a 0 TDS reading. Leave it in there a week and take a second reading. If it is higher, Lead or something is being leached out of the bowl.
I bought my TDS meter for $20 from Amazon.com. It's not too expensive and it's a valuable tool for growing CP.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Lyra
Shadowtski wrote:Do you have a TDS meter? Put some distilled water in the freshly cleaned bowl and you should get a 0 TDS reading. Leave it in there a week and take a second reading. If it is higher, Lead or something is being leached out of the bowl.
I bought my TDS meter for $20 from Amazon.com. It's not too expensive and it's a valuable tool for growing CP.

Good growing,
Mike
That's a good idea. Thank you.

By Artemisia
I wouldn't recommend it, if it's not recommended to keep food on for long periods of time. Then it could hurt your flytraps.

By steve booth
I too would not bother growing plants in a glass bowl for several reasons, but in answer to your question, glass is fairly inert, hence its use in scientific instrumentation. Lead is added to crystal to make it sparkle so there will be some lead on the surface of the glass that could get leached out in solution over time, but once gone it should be fairly inert.
Found this which may be useful
To make sure crystal glassware is safe to store liquids – no matter is manufacturer has done this already or not – perform this simple task: Fill the interior of your crystal glassware, decanters, and pitchers with white vinegar and let sit for 24 hours. Rinse well before use. The majority of lead oxide molecules will leach into an acidic solution, leaving the top layers of crystal virtually lead-free.

Cheers
Steve
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!