FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Chesser
What kind of Orchid fertilizer do you recommend?
By evenwind
I also use Grow More and alternate between Grow More 20-10-20 and Maxsea 16-16-16.
evenwind liked this
By Chesser
Sakaaaaa wrote:I use no fertilizer
How well does that work? Why is it recommended to use fertilizer? Does anyone else use no fertilizer?
By Huntsmanshorn
I have used Maxsea 16-16-16 and Peters Specialties orchid food 30-10-10.
Both at half strength. Both work well.
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Chesser wrote:
How well does that work? Why is it recommended to use fertilizer? Does anyone else use no fertilizer?
It works alright.
All my orchids have no fertilizer* and they are doing fine.
From my understanding fertilizer boosts size and flowers and stuff.
*My Oncidium x Odontoglossum used to have fertilizer 1 time a week but I stopped using it this year.
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Kenneth
Honey or sugar water
By Archie Adams
Orchids need to be fed regularly. Growers suggest using a "balanced" fertilizer such as 20-20-20 that includes all "necessary trace elements." Regardless of the fertilizer formulation you choose to use, it should contain little or no urea. If you are unsure of what fertilizer to use, you can generally use any fertilizer you would for your other container plants. Orchids will do far better with too little fertilizer than with too much. Many growers recommend the "weakly, weekly" approach, applying a dilute (1/4 strength) fertilizer each time they water, rather than applying a full dose once a month. Also, it is best not to fertilize a completely dry plant as the fertilizer can burn the dry roots. Water first then follow with fertilizer solution.
In the active phase of growth, orchids are fed with special fertilizers for orchids once every 2 weeks. Such fertilizers are specially designed and have a lower concentration of macronutrients and classic micronutrients, because epiphytes do not tolerate the salinity of the substrate. If there are no special fertilizers for orchids, you can use fertilizers for flowering indoor plants, only in half the concentration.

Before feeding, it is imperative to water the orchid or first soak it in a basin with soft, settled water at room temperature so that the roots absorb water. And only then add fertilizer to the water according to the dosage specified in the instructions. The roots of orchids are quite tender, and if orchids are fertilized without first soaking the roots, they will get burns, gradually the ends of the roots will begin to die. Never fertilize orchids with undiluted fertilizer, it is strictly forbidden!

In a solution with fertilizer, the orchid should be 10-20 minutes. Water for the preparation of the solution can be used only specially purified or drinking. After top dressing, you need to put it in a permanent place, avoiding the remnants of the solution at the bottom of the pot or saucer under the pot in order to avoid decay of the roots.

In the autumn-winter period, geeding is reduced to a minimum, fertilizers should be balanced no more than once a month. In spring, feeding is renewed.

Hey gang! So I think the humidifier I have is goi[…]

Not what you would expect...

Nothing to do with the condiment cup/urine sample.[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!