FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Ayla
Hi everyone. I have a question about how much of a temp. drop can orchids handle? I'm not entirely new to growing orchids, but this is the first year having any again after a gap of about 12yrs and the first time in my current living situation. I do not have central heating in this house. I do have very good space heaters and a humidifier. I live far in se tx and we basically have summer and winter in the same week. It's quite literally the only 2 seasons we have. It went from 100 degrees outside to the 40s for a couple days. Its warmed up to a low of 60 and a high 70s durring the day and is projected to be so for about a week. I have 3 orchids atm and this is my first year to have CPs. My orchids are not blooming right now but are in the growing stage. They all grew a few new leaves and are all now growing new stems. Nice users here directed me to a good growing light for my CPs, which I presume my orchids will also benefit from. I wont be able to get a growing light until payday. So until them I am quite worried about stressing/shocking my plants. Which are all in my west facing window and surrounding countertop. If anyone knows how much of a sudden temp change my orchids can withstand and what signs of stress/shock to watch out for, please let me know. Thank everyone very much.
By Ayla
Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot. One is a Doritaenopsis, one is a Phal. And the other was just labeled "miniature orchid". Wether that's really a thing or not, I'm not sure. I was under the impression that it was just an immature version of a regular phal orchid and just labeled as such so it'd be cute and people would buy it. It was a gift. Again - Thank you all.
By SundewWolf
The same as your spatulata, try to keep their growing space above a minimum of 60*F. A few days of it dropping a bit lower won't kill them but it also isn't going to do them any favors.

As for the growlight...it really depends on what you are planning to buy. Yes the phal's would probably like it but in most windows they will grow fine. I have never thought about buying lights for my orchids, just stuck them in E,W,& S windows. I would say the sundew needs it more, so just make sure it has a light close to it (with orchids I think most grow lights would me mounted too high above the plant, most lights work best around 6 inches away from CP's. You can keep them very close to the light source.
By orchidsbytj
In regards to your Phalenopsis, I would imagine that they are hybrids. Phal hybrids are very forgiving to the average home environment. Unless your house gets below 50 at night, I would just put them in front of or very near any one of your S, E, or W facing windows. Northern exposure, probably not enough light. They will grow just fine ... just no blooms. No artificial lights needed if they are in front of a bright window. If you put them in front of a S facing window, be sure to acclimate them to the high light. They can actually take quite a bit of light. You just have to get them there slowly. Also with the S facing window, I would use a shear curtain at least, then slowly move them closer to the window. With Levolor Blinds, cut the southern light by at least 50 percent to start, then more light as they get used to their new home.

I now have several Phals in front of a S facing window in my office. They get an awful lot of light. Since putting them there, all of them have started to bloom for me. One of them finally bloomed after having it for several years. I believe it is because of the extra light.

Good luck!
By Archie Adams
Ayla wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:46 pm Hi everyone. I have a question about how much of a temp. drop can orchids handle? I'm not entirely new to growing orchids, but this is the first year having any again after a gap of about 12yrs and the first time in my current living situation. I do not have central heating in this house. I do have very good space heaters and a humidifier. I live far in se tx and we basically have summer and winter in the same week. It's quite literally the only 2 seasons we have. It went from 100 degrees outside to the 40s for a couple days. Its warmed up to a low of 60 and a high 70s durring the day and is projected to be so for about a week. I have 3 orchids atm and this is my first year to have CPs. My orchids are not blooming right now but are in the growing stage. They all grew a few new leaves and are all now growing new stems. Nice users here directed me to a good growing light for my CPs, which I presume my orchids will also benefit from. I wont be able to get a growing light until payday. So until them I am quite worried about stressing/shocking my plants. Which are all in my west facing window and surrounding countertop. If anyone knows how much of a sudden temp change my orchids can withstand and what signs of stress/shock to watch out for, please let me know. Thank everyone very much.
Hi.A night temperature of 60-62 degrees F is ideal for optimum growth, but temperatures as low as 55 degrees F will not harm your plant. Daytime temperatures should range between 70 and 80 degrees F.Damage may also occur in your home if daytime and nighttime temperatures get too cold. Orchid leaves are more tolerant of less-than-ideal temperatures, whereas the flowers are much more susceptible to damage. During particularly cold weather, double-sleeving adds extra protection
By DragonsEye
Ayla wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:52 pm Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot. One is a Doritaenopsis, one is a Phal. And the other was just labeled "miniature orchid". Wether that's really a thing or not, I'm not sure. I was under the impression that it was just an immature version of a regular phal orchid and just labeled as such so it'd be cute and people would buy it. It was a gift. Again - Thank you all.
It depends upon what orchids you have as well as how wet they are.

The Dor and the Phal will take temps in the 50s with no problem. Below that can be a very real problem -- especially if the roots are wet. (In this, they are not unlike succulents and cacti -- dry and cold is often fine, but wet and cold can be lethal.) With your high temps, they will need protection from direct hot sun. Early morning or late evening might be fine, but you are much further south so the sun's strength is far greater. Btw, there are orchids that can take temps in the 30s.

As far as the "mini" orchid... there are a plethora of mini's wherein a mature plant will only be an inch or less in height. However, it is unlikely you received such. If your mini looks a lot like your phal than that is likely a young or small "but not mini" phal.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!