FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Archie Adams
I am a newcomer so I have introduced myself and now I want to introduce my `babies`. A venus flytrap requires a lot of light - 10-12 hours daily. If there is not enough sunlight, light up the plant with additional fluorescent lights. I grow this plant at home and put a pot on the east window — from morning to noon there is the most ideal place. On especially warm days I take the plant out onto the street or open balcony - let it “breathe”. And there he feeds (more on that later). In winter (from late October to early March) a dionea needs a strong decrease in temperature. I water the dione once every 2-3 days. Water is poured mainly into the pan, and not directly under the plant - so the flower itself can control how much moisture it needs. In the case of dionea, complementary foods are insects. After all, the plant is predatory, which means that live food is needed.
By Matt
Archie Adams wrote:After all, the plant is predatory, which means that live food is needed.
Actually, any "food" for flytraps is optional. Here at FlytrapStore, it is quite rare for our plants ever to catch insects. They get all the energy they need to grow from the sun. However, they will grow faster if they regularly get meals.

And many people who choose to feed their plants don't feed them live food. Freeze-dried bloodworms rehydrated and rolled into little balls and then fed to traps is a very popular way of feeding flytraps that doesn't require live food. It just requires a little bit of effort on the grower's part to massage the trap so that it begins the digestion process.
By Archie Adams
Matt wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 pm
Archie Adams wrote:After all, the plant is predatory, which means that live food is needed.
Actually, any "food" for flytraps is optional. Here at FlytrapStore, it is quite rare for our plants ever to catch insects. They get all the energy they need to grow from the sun. However, they will grow faster if they regularly get meals.

And many people who choose to feed their plants don't feed them live food. Freeze-dried bloodworms rehydrated and rolled into little balls and then fed to traps is a very popular way of feeding flytraps that doesn't require live food. It just requires a little bit of effort on the grower's part to massage the trap so that it begins the digestion process.
Yes, of course I agree to feed such a flower, in no case should be used bugs having a hard chitinous shell, earthworms and gnawing insects, since they can injure a trap. Also, sausage or meat should not be used for feeding, as this may cause rot on the trap. Throughout the growing season, the bush is enough to give 2 or 3 not very large spiders, flies or mosquitoes. Especially you can not give an insect to a plant if:
it is weakened or affected by some disease;
it was grown in an excessively humid environment and in poor light;
the bush was recently transplanted or suffered any other stress.
From the last days of September it is necessary to stop any feeding, and resume it again only with the onset of spring
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!