FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Berrybob
While looking at CPs I have found the different kinds of cephalotus to be interesting. Any tips on growing or good websites to get one from would be greatly appreciated.
By mcgrumpers
I got one from predatory plants and another from Charles Brewer. Both are fantastic.

On growing, I've read everything from "they're easy, just put it on your windowsill" to "they're prone to root rot and are for advanced growers only". In my conditions, they did alright on the windowsill but only really thrived after putting them under lights.
By Berrybob
To reduce the chance of root rot should a sandy media be used and should it be top watered?
By Matt
Berrybob wrote:To reduce the chance of root rot should a sandy media be used and should it be top watered?
Yes on the sandy media, no on the top watering. Some of the best Cephalotus I have ever seen were grown indoors under artificial lighting and in 70% sand/30% peat mixture watered with an auto-watering tray that kept the bottom 1/4 inch or so of the pot in water at all times.

See this post for more information:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post ... ml#p350435
By SundewWolf
For me Cephs have been very easy. The biggest factor IMO is to set them up in a good soil mix. In my experience they like a well drained mix (equal parts red lava rock, perlite, peat, sphagnum) so that you can water them pretty heavily and two days later they will be starting to dry. They also have good aeration through the pot while maintaining moisture deep down using this mix.

I have mine sitting along with my tropical sundews on my indoor growshelf under LED. I am getting a new fixture soon , but you can grow cephs even under some cheap $22 Yescom panels. I water mine when the top of the soil is dry and feed the pitchers with maxsea once they open.

I also have some recent propagations in a peat heavy mix, and another in pure LFS. If you are careful not to overwater them these mixes work just fine, although they are not my preferred soil mix/soil dynamics, so I repot all the cephs I buy once they start putting out adult pitchers.
Matt liked this
By Berrybob
Thanks for all the help, I'll be getting my first ceph soon from California Carnivores.

Nice variety of Sarrs! I have the Tattnalls from m[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Brown spots in new leaf?

That plant looks to be pretty far along for thi[…]

Even if they are from leaf cuttings 4 months old?[…]

Sundews seem to be a little sensitive to most inse[…]

Fertilized Peet Moss

I'd suggest simply rinsing the plants in distilled[…]

The first box-store Venus flytrap I purchased did […]

Growing vft in tampa FL

They look very ready for the upcoming growing seas[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!