FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Joeynator3000
I kinda figured they would be fine for now, my flytrap seems fine right now and my sundew is already recovering from being in a box all day. So, yeah...hopefully they'll be fine for the summer.
By Joeynator3000
Yikes...okay, glad I got the flytrap inside in time after completely forgetting...and yet ANOTHER reason why growing them outdoors is just not possible for me.
....Automated sprinkler systems late at night on weekdays. *sighs*
By steve booth
Joeynator3000 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:33 am Guess I'll deal with this once next month hits, kinda running out of money. Just gotta figure out where to find soil. I've seen some stores carry the moss, but the perlite/sand I keep finding always have the fertilizer stuff in it. (Miracle Grow) Go figure...lol
You can always buy some from Matt!
Cheers
Steve
By Archie Adams
To provide additional illumination in the winter to photophilous plants, fluorescent fluorescent lamps can be used. Their spectrum is closest to natural light, in addition, they consume little electricity and do not heat up like incandescent lamps. Therefore, there is no risk of burning the leaves.
Good luck
By Archie Adams
In addition to my last reply the fact that the flytrap is not enough light will tell the appearance of the plant - its leaves will become wider and shorter: the plant enlarges the leaf blade, trying to catch as much light as possible. In addition, only in bright light the inner part of the traps in green leaf varieties becomes reddish, and in red leaf varieties it becomes bright red. With insufficient light, the plant, unfortunately, can die.
Matt liked this
By Joeynator3000
Decided to try and feed the flytrap again (looks like some of the traps are dead at this point), guess at this point I'm just going to wait until a new trap forms. Ah well, I gave it to my sundew again and decided to look up what it was. Same bug that I fed it last time, turns out it's a ladybug larvae of some kind.

Anyways dunno what's gonna happen to my red dragon...if I can't keep it alive, oh well, I tried. Wished I lived in a better location for those guys, I'm just glad that my sundew is doing well. Anyways I'll post an update here if something happens with my dragon, or maybe post about my sundew's flower, because that's happening as well.

EDIT: Here, have a couple of pics of my sundew taking in it's food. lol

30-ish minutes later, 0% progress on the larvae's escape, meanwhile...lol
By Benny
Healthy sundew! If you need help with your flytrap, post a pic. Almost half of the leaves on mine died when I first received it, so it may be fine.
By Joeynator3000
I mean it's slowly turning red after putting it under my grow light for a few days. other traps look decent but one of them is probably dead (not triggering). Gonna wait since a new big trap is forming in the middle. So, maybe it is doing well and just needs to recover since outside where I live it's not getting much light. (it did lose some red coloring when I left it out there last weekend)

EDIT: The biggest trap was already close when I got it, I don't know if it's still capable of another meal but I've noticed that it's slowly opening. I'll try again with that trap next week at some point, so it looks like it's still alive and going.
By Joeynator3000
New plan...sorta, next best option for the flytrap is the back porch. Only direct sunlight it'll get is afternoon sun, and even then it'll be dappled/shade from trees and buildings. I'm pretty sure the grow light is still better than these other options, but...turns out the flytrap's soil has springtails. (flea-like "bugs")

I know they're somewhat harmless to plants and us since they don't bite, but I still don't feel like dealing with them. Pretty sure my family would start flipping out with them on the counter, lol. Anyways we'll see how it does on the porch, I may have to hand-feed it still since no decent sized bugs can get in.

We'll see how it does for the next week or so, if Matt wants to see a pic of it then I'll get one tomorrow. I do think it looks decent after being under the grow light, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, meant to also point out that the sprinkler system isn't in the back area. So hopefully it'll do better there.

Cape Sundew status update: Still doing well, I'll probably still make a new pot and get seeds from the flower at some point. I posted some pics of the ladybug larvae I gave it yesterday, want more updates on that? :p

A little before noon when I woke up.

Later today, I think the bug FINALLY died at this point. xD
By Benny
Springtails on a sundew can be fairly beneficial. Not sure about flytraps, as they are tiny.

this is what I saw on them, so if you want more on them:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HCPOm-1Tw
By Joeynator3000
Well I dunno if my Cape Sundew got springtails yet, been keeping it close to my Flytrap but at this point I don't care since I'm growing new sundews from seeds soon...in a different pot. lol

That said I just started noticing something about my Flytrap...
Sundew! lol (it even caught a gnat, lol)

I also think my cape sundew may have a bladderowrt as well. Too early to tell but I may take a pic of that at some point.
By Joeynator3000
Yeah I heard about that, I never noticed anything until recently. Also yeah I tried putting my flytrap outside for a few days but it's simply not able to get much light at all. So the grow light is the best it can get now, and it does seem to be getting better since then.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!