FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
I obtained this plant from a SNW open house in 2018. I believe it was a mother plant because there where many places where the vines were cut. From the pics SNW provided on their website, it look like a really junky monotype brown-pitchered nep hybrid- https://www.growcarnivorousplants.com/N ... /36332.htm. Sarracenia Northwest doesn't even have description for it! In my experience this is far, far from a junky nep hybrid. It is very difficult to get to pitcher due to the sib parentage. I couldn't get it to pitcher for the first year I grew it, but when it does it is fabulous. For the first two weeks or so after the pitcher pops, the peristome is cherry red. After a while it turns dark, almost black. Like the peristome, the pitcher body starts brighter and grows darker over time. The leaves are very thick and shaped like the ventricosa parent. The tendrils on this hybrid are very long. Some are a little longer than a foot and a quarter. I really like the shape of the pitchers, they are very chunky and sturdy-looking. The pitchers on this one have very small wings, more than the ventricosa and sib, but less than the smilesii and maxima that make up the splendiana. Overall, this is one of my favorite neps and couldn't find much info on it out there on the web.
a couple pitchers on this hybrid.  Pics don't do the plant justice, but you can see the very cherry-red peristome I was talking about
a couple pitchers on this hybrid. Pics don't do the plant justice, but you can see the very cherry-red peristome I was talking about
image1 (24).JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
another pitcher in the leafy jungle
another pitcher in the leafy jungle
image2 (10).JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
a close up of this freshly-popped pitcher
a close up of this freshly-popped pitcher
image3 (4).JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
A pitcher about to pop
A pitcher about to pop
image4 (2).JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
A older pitcher on this plant.  As the pitchers got older, they get less colorful and less beautiful overall.
A older pitcher on this plant. As the pitchers got older, they get less colorful and less beautiful overall.
image5 (1).JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Spring is here! This plant is making a new flush of pitchers to replace the ones that are getting old.

Also, this plant is spiking and looks like a female! That's good, because my male ventricosa is also flowering and I might be able to cross the two. And if my eyes aren't failing me, it looks like there might be another vine on the same plant that is deciding to bloom also...

P.S. I don't know why the pictures are sideways...
IMG_7383.JPG
IMG_7383.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2132 times
IMG_7386.JPG
IMG_7386.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2132 times
IMG_7389.JPG
IMG_7389.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2132 times
By Nepenthes0260
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Nice! This person has a plant thats flowering and wants someone to give pollen to(https://www.terraforums.com/forums/carn ... ollen.html)
Thanks! Yes, I saw that guy looking for a female nep.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!