FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience by leaving flytraps in a 15L pot outside during the winter for temperatures around -25C to 0C. Will they survive if covered?
By That one plant boi
idwaneo wrote:Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience by leaving flytraps in a 15L pot outside during the winter for temperatures around -25C to 0C. Will they survive if covered?
If the temperature is constantly hovering around that area, you might want to bring them into an unheated garage or indoors until it warms up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By idwaneo
Unfortunately i have nothing , than a fridge and an open balcony. Im rather interested to know if anyone got a flytrap surviving these conditions, if it is possible then for me will be better than keeping them in the fridge
By That one plant boi
idwaneo wrote:Unfortunately i have nothing , than a fridge and an open balcony. Im rather interested to know if anyone got a flytrap surviving these conditions, if it is possible then for me will be better than keeping them in the fridge
Actually, sticking them in the fridge could definitely work for a bit, as long as they aren't currently growing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By omnipercp15
My area has only gone as low as -8 C for about 1 or 2 nights. In the other nights and days, it warms up a bit higher. The VFTs and Saracennia pitcher plants survived just fine.

Another discussion also mentions about the cold in the sense of, if they get gradually colder, they will do better than if they suddenly get colder.

I would also think you can cover your pot, just like many gardeners do, to give it just a few more degrees of temperature warmth to help it along, if you find that you really do need to leave it outside. Leaving the pot up against the wall of a home, also helps maintain a few more degrees of warmth.

And finally, bringing them inside and making them miss one season of cold dormancy may be better than letting them freeze to death, in case those temps will be too much for the plants. You would then have another 1 year to figure out a long-term solution to your dormancy needs.
By Huntsmanshorn
idwaneo wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm Hello,

Are your low temps somewhere in that range or is that an average 24 hour swing?
By tommyr
For VFT fridge dormancy I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a SULPHUR based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out and clean them up, hit them with SULPHUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 12 years with no losses.

^^^^ N. boschiana "BE 3643" x sanguinea […]

please and thank you :D Sent from my SM-S918U usi[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!