FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
Hello, I have wanted to build a bog garden and I am wondering what the best formula for media is. I have peat moss, a bit of vermiculite and will be getting some silica sand or perlite. I live in zone 6b and it frequently gets up into the 90's. I will take it inside during the winter once the plants are dormant. I will be planting sarracenia, drosera, and a few vft's in the bog garden. It will be raised above the ground and around 2' deep.
By Bob Beer
I would skip the vermiculite. Peat and coarse silica sand or peat and fine perlite dö well. I tend to prefer silica sand for big outdoor plantings because perlite can wash around, at least until the Sphagnum starts growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt liked this
By Bob Beer
It probably won’t hurt anything. Peat holds water just fine, the sand or perlite lightens things a little. Vermiculite tends to compact and turn into a sludgy consistency but if there’s only a small amount you should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!