FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PlantsWithTeeth_01
I have some white mould developing on a few nepenthes seeds, the hazard of there being non-live sphagnum in the seedling mix I guess. Is either hyrdogen peroxide and / or phosphoric acid safe or worth using to treat it? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
nimbulan wrote:Any seed that grows fungus like that is non-viable, and treating them with a fungicide won't help.
Glad I threw the moulded ones away then, but in the same pot there are seeds that have germinated, so hoping to treat the pot so the mould doesn't spread to good seed or the seedlings
By f1appyb1rd
To help prevent nepenthes seeds from molding over, prior to sowing seeds you could try soaking them for 24 hours in mixture of 1 cup of distilled water with about 3/4th teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). I also use this diluted H2O2 to spray surface of media to help kill any other mold spores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
Another great way to prevent mold and fungus in any carnivorous plant media is to get them outside with plenty of airflow.
Now, we know this isn't always the best option depending on your location, but it does work.
I've had overwintering plants almost become overrun with fuzz, but a few days outside helped to alleviate it. However, I live in Tennessee, so I could see anywhere from 10°F to 60°F in February, which affords me the ability to put them out.
Good luck.
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
f1appyb1rd wrote:To help prevent nepenthes seeds from molding over, prior to sowing seeds you could try soaking them for 24 hours in mixture of 1 cup of distilled water with about 3/4th teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). I also use this diluted H2O2 to spray surface of media to help kill any other mold spores.
I have tried spraying with peroxide which appears to have helped. If you soak them in water, they're so small, how are you gonna get them out?

RE my conditions, I've only had mould issues in the one pot, everything else (plenty of seedlings) is doing great, but humidity is almost 100% and virtually no ventilation, and not really possible to increase air flow.
ChefDean liked this
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!