FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Joeynator3000
So I live in an apartment, so room is somewhat limited for me. That said I want to try and get back into these plants, but indoors is the best for my location. MAYBE I could put some of them on the porch but they won't get much direct sun (trees EVERYWHERE).

Anyways, because of space and all that, I also want to try and have the plant(s) in my room. It's so annoying being on my computer with an obnoxious gnat or fly getting in my face, and my cat just does not care about them anymore. lol

All these lighting options are confusing the crap out of me, I want to keep the lamp somewhat small for now. I'm not planning on collecting 50 pots anytime soon, just a couple. So I looked on Amazon and again, I've no idea what to go for...I'll list one or two here.

1. https://www.amazon.com/Elaine-Upgraded- ... 1E8GSQ0FPV

I was hoping to find a single lamp but it seems a lot of these are 2 or 3, so I guess there's not much I can do here. I was interested with this one because of the timer, somewhat concerned about the clip. Afraid that it could easily slip off the table or something. Now that I look at the questions/reviews, it seems the quality here could be terrible...? Whatever, moving on...

2. https://www.amazon.com/Relassy-Spectrum ... 1E8GSQ0FPV

Apparently this company gets a lot of love...so this one also caught me, no timer, but it has dimming options. Also able to replace the bulbs...

So yeah...I have no idea what to go for here. Should I go for something completely different? Getting one of those big panels isn't really an option for me right now...

As for the plants themselves, I haven't decided but I'm probably going to get a sundew of some kind (most likely a cape). I'm also thinking of a butterwort or a venus as well. (yeah I'm terrible with scientific names, deal with it. lol)

Anyways I'm not getting anything at this moment, but I'm thinking soon. Just trying to plan things out before I start actually buying.

Oh yeah, what other stores do you recommend? I was thinking of Cali Carnivores, it looks like they have what I'm wanting to grab at the moment.
By Joeynator3000
....I'm just now realizing that the first option also has dimming options, lol. So yeah, it may be the best one for me to go for, the clip still bugs me, though. >.<

Also some people say the quality is poor and the lights can't be replaced. Is this an actual problem?

EDIT: Went for another look and found out about these types of lights from this forum, decided to look one up. What do you guys think about these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQPFVPY/re ... 0cnVl&th=1
By mcgrumpers
Many of my plants grow exclusively under a mars hydro 300 and are doing well. The only downside of this light is that it's blurple (which is fine for plants... it's just ugly to look at).

Lots of people on this forum have recommended yescom 225 lights. If you want to grow plants that need serious light, I'd go with a mars hydro 300 type light, otherwise, I'd try yescom.
By Zach7286
I'm very new to these things as well but I also live in an apartment and went into my lamp-search with similar concerns. I ended up going with this one: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... _allpromos

... and things have been going well so far (I made the purchase back in mid-January it looks like). I have one seedling, and it's been growing pretty rapidly for the past week or so, after I was able to resolve some unrelated water-absorption issues. I'd recommend it! Although again I'm definitely a novice in these matters.
By Joeynator3000
I dunno, normal desk lamps seem like they wouldn't be strong enough. I tried growing some seeds a couple of years ago using a desk lamp (I forget what kind, I don't have it anymore, but I'm guessing it was florescent?) and even though I got them barely sprouting, I never got any farther than that. They just stopped growing completely.

....Speaking of seeds, I somehow managed to find leftover ones that I didn't use yet. I wonder if they'll still work, it has been a while. (cape sundew, both american and tropical pitchers, and the sensitive plant....not a carnivorous plant, I just wanted it. lol)

Anyways yeah, maybe I'll have better luck with the seeds this time, if not then I'll just buy a grown plant and skip all of that stuff.
By Joeynator3000
Figures...ah well, don't care too much about them anyways.
Yeah, it seems like I'm still better off just buying the plants and skipping the seeds.

Still unsure about the lamps/lights that I posted...do I really just have to chance it and try one of them to see if they work?
By Joeynator3000
Well, seems like chancing it is the only solution...did some more looking around and I think I'm just going to go with this for now and hope that it works. If anyone has this or something similar and wants to give feedback, then let me know. Gonna grab it first before ordering my plants.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725QBG1G/?c ... _lig_dp_it

EDIT: Turns out the plants take a bit longer to get here anyways, so I'm gonna go ahead and buy some from CaliCarnivores now. We'll see how they do with the light. (cape sundew and "red dragon" venus flytrap)

If anyone wants, I can post pics of the light and plants when I do get them.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!