FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
I have a Drosera Regia that was grown from seed that is flowering, and was told and have read conflicting things.

So can a D. Regia be pollinated by the same plant's flowers, similar to a fly trap? Or do I need 2 separate plants?

I also read that the D. Regia has to be grown from seed to have pollen. Also I read that a d. Regia that was grown from a root cutting will not make pollen. I don't know if that is true either. ?

I have also read that its nearly impossible to pollinate a d. Regia?

And I have read its hard to get leaf strikes but easier with root cuttings. I definitely don't want to cut on the roots right now.

So I guess ultimately I am wondering should I just cut the flower stalk off if it is not going to make seeds? Maybe I will get strikes from the flower stalk?
By kato_stud25
Thanks for making this post I recently got one myself and was going to basically ask the same questions as in yours. What size or age do they need to be to flower? Mines seed grown around 7 inches tall. I also picked up a few seeds to attempt to grow a few more.
By Fly Trap Hunter
my regia is only 4 inches tall, but I have feed it maxsea and blood worms over months now. I have had it since last fall. It sits in a west facing window and gets about 5 to 6 hours sunlight.
By Fly Trap Hunter
kato_stud25 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 am Thanks for making this post I recently got one myself and was going to basically ask the same questions as in yours. What size or age do they need to be to flower? Mines seed grown around 7 inches tall. I also picked up a few seeds to attempt to grow a few more.
Where did you get seeds? I saw a grower in Hawaii on etsy has some.
I am going to try some leaf cuttings to see if they strike.
I don't know what the size is to flower but mine is smaller than 5 inches. I have just fed it a bunch. Maybe putting it in the direct sunlight a week or 2, when it has been warm, might have helped?
By Copper2
Fly Trap Hunter wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 pm
Copper2 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 pm Not difficult to pollinate a regia
I hope you are right.
I have had fly traps flower and not produce seed, even with plenty of pollen around.
I said it not difficult to pollinate it. I didn’t say it produces seed if you leave it to itself
By Matt
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:I have had fly traps flower and not produce seed, even with plenty of pollen around.
Flytraps are very readily self-pollinated but there aren't many natural pollinators for them...at least in our area. That is why I use a small paintbrush and hand pollinate all flowers multiple times when the stigma becomes receptive. It is rare to have a flower not produce seeds, even when self-pollinated, if they are repeatedly hand-pollinated while receptive.
By kato_stud25
Fly Trap Hunter wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:47 pm
kato_stud25 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 am Thanks for making this post I recently got one myself and was going to basically ask the same questions as in yours. What size or age do they need to be to flower? Mines seed grown around 7 inches tall. I also picked up a few seeds to attempt to grow a few more.
I don't know what the size is to flower but mine is smaller than 5 inches. I have just fed it a bunch. Maybe putting it in the direct sunlight a week or 2, when it has been warm, might have helped?
I got them from a seller off Ebay. I'm not sure if there listing is on there anymore. I've only had mine a few weeks I keep it under a 200 led grow lamp and just started feeding it blood worms. Looks like we are both going to be attempting to do the same with these plants so we should let each other know how things go? Ive basically read the same condescending things about these plants as you.It will be awhile before I try any leaf cuttings or root cuttings it's still recovering from shipping and growing good new leaves.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Thanks Matt. I have used the brush technique. I think something was wrong with the few that didnt make seeds. I think it was the WIP Long Snapper. It just didnt want to make seeds. My carolina red traps didnt make seeds either. but i got 500 fly trap seeds regardless. I dont care if a few fly traps dont make seed.
By Fly Trap Hunter
kato_stud25 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 am
Fly Trap Hunter wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:47 pm
I got them from a seller off Ebay. I'm not sure if there listing is on there anymore. I've only had mine a few weeks I keep it under a 200 led grow lamp and just started feeding it blood worms. Looks like we are both going to be attempting to do the same with these plants so we should let each other know how things go? Ive basically read the same condescending things about these plants as you.It will be awhile before I try any leaf cuttings or root cuttings it's still recovering from shipping and growing good new leaves.
I did see some regia seeds for sale but I think I am going to do a leaf cutting of the regia. I have had really great success at strikes from sundews. Maybe I will get lucky with this.
By Matt
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:I have used the brush technique. I think something was wrong with the few that didnt make seeds. I think it was the WIP Long Snapper. It just didnt want to make seeds. My carolina red traps didnt make seeds either. but i got 500 fly trap seeds regardless. I dont care if a few fly traps dont make seed.
Yeah, that is fairly common. Some clones don't produce seed very well and some year, for whatever reason, entire flower stalks won't produce any seeds. If you got 500 seeds, you should have plenty to play around with though!!
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!