FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Gormur
I just got a self-watering pot. It has bottom water and comes apart for easy draining or cleaning

The thing I can't figure out is how, or maybe why the top tray has drainage in addition to the flats the pot stands on. Is there a way to mitigate this? Like, I want it so that the soil I put in doesn't just fall right into the lower tray

Maybe I don't completely get how this works but I thought putting some wick rope or even LFS lining the bottom upper tray could prevent peat moss and such from going through
By StaatS+17+
What I don't like about self watering pots is their isn't enough space for water especially during the summer outside. Most of them are not designed for a carnivorous plants. I highly recommend pot in 1 to 2 inches of water in an oversized tray. This way it decreases the likelyhood of soil going dry due to forgetting, unexpected heatwaves, etc. Use thin layer of LFS or landscaping/weed fabric at bottom of pot so its the wettest at bottom. Not sure about wick rope absorbing capabilities.
By Gormur
I usually put silica sand on the bottom, then LFS/peat moss and perlite above that so who knows how that'll turn out. :lol:

The wicking rope was an idea in my head. I've no idea if anybody has done this or not. It might not even work
By omnipercp15
Gormur wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:19 am I just got a self-watering pot. It has bottom water and comes apart for easy draining or cleaning

The thing I can't figure out is how, or maybe why the top tray has drainage in addition to the flats the pot stands on. Is there a way to mitigate this? Like, I want it so that the soil I put in doesn't just fall right into the lower tray

Maybe I don't completely get how this works but I thought putting some wick rope or even LFS lining the bottom upper tray could prevent peat moss and such from going through
Can you show a picture of your pot?

Wicking materials and wicking ideas work just fine for CP plant pots. What I mean by that is, you can wick water in from the bottom, or from the top, or through the growing medium, depending on whatever wicking idea you want to use.

An example: a typical self-watering pot means you pour water into the reservoir, and the growing medium will suck up the water as needed. This works fine for CPs, which are often planted in some kind of peat or spaghnum moss mixture.
By omnipercp15
Thanks for the picture. If I understand your OP correctly then, the slats on the top part of the planter for intended for air circulation.
By Gormur
I hope you don't mind, but I can't figure this thing out. I put water in the bottom tray, which is quite a distance from the top part with soil in it. Is this going to help? The reason I ask is because it's been raining here everyday, although my plants are under the roof protected from rainfall; porch. I mean, will this work or should I just continue watering from the top? Maybe till it heats up a bit outside

I notice after feeding my traps, they're coming up so apparently I did it right this time. I got an akai ryu and it's really vigorous :)
Cheers
By Matt
Gormur wrote:I put water in the bottom tray, which is quite a distance from the top part with soil in it. Is this going to help?
If your flytraps are potted in any kind of sphagnum or sphagnum-peat moss, it will soak up the water all the way to the top of the soil.

Gormur wrote:will this work or should I just continue watering from the top?
I often water from the top just to carry some air down into the soil and flush out minerals that might have built up in the soil over time.
By Gormur
Matt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 pm
Gormur wrote:I put water in the bottom tray, which is quite a distance from the top part with soil in it. Is this going to help?
If your flytraps are potted in any kind of sphagnum or sphagnum-peat moss, it will soak up the water all the way to the top of the soil.

I often water from the top just to carry some air down into the soil and flush out minerals that might have built up in the soil over time.
Matt, I was asking based on the pot I have. The tray isn't sitting directly against the pot but a few inches below it, on slats

I thought maybe the slats pull water upwards through some kind of heat transfer type deal, but I'm terrible at physics so I was just wondering how it works or rather if it does anything at all; to put water in the bottom tray

Cheers
By Do_Gon
Gormur wrote:
Matt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 pm

Matt, I was asking based on the pot I have. The tray isn't sitting directly against the pot but a few inches below it, on slats

I thought maybe the slats pull water upwards through some kind of heat transfer type deal, but I'm terrible at physics so I was just wondering how it works or rather if it does anything at all; to put water in the bottom tray

Cheers
Mkono has some pots kinda like these but the water in their bottom reservoir is wicked up to the top by cotton wicks. They work well for me. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016KE4R26/re ... FEb1VX569R
By Do_Gon
DartPraidon wrote:Self-watering pots are very convenient but personally in my experience they constantly leave a wet mark on the surface and if your tables are made of wood, then you should not use them.
Leakage isn't possible with the pots I linked to.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!